Old December 19th 04, 12:43 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Trains carried on ships

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:10:19 +0000 (UTC), "Boogaloo"
wrote:

snip

Villa San Giovanni-Messina between Italy and Sicilia.
All through trains from the Italian mainland to Sicilia use this route, your
shunted in and out of the ship on to the rail deck and you have to remain on
the train for this one.

Not true. You can get out and visit the bar, or stand at the railings
and watch the sun set over Sicily, as I did about 3 months ago.

See: http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/it/misc/ferry/pix.html

--

Regards

Mike

mikedotroebuckatgmxdotnet

Old December 19th 04, 06:05 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Trains carried on ships -goods too!

In article , Troy Steadman
wrote:
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

When the channel tunnel was started, that thoroughly commercial organisation,
British Railways, started a programme of bringing goods waggons into this
country by ship to build up traffic for when the tunnel opened. The tunnel
took longer to build than planned, so this built up to quite a traffic; I saw
a lot of Italian goods vehicles in Luton. But BR didn't live to harvest the
fruits of its labours - and were there any?

It's ironical to remember how the pundits said that the building of the
channel tunnel would bring vast traffic and make British Railways safe. But
as I understand it, goods traffic, like passenger traffic, has been
disappointing. It's strange how things turn out, not the opposite of what was
expected, but at a slant that makes the forecasts and their negations both
irrelevant.

Michael Bell

Old December 19th 04, 12:30 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:05:54 +0000, Michael Bell
wrote:

In article , Troy Steadman
wrote:
Didn't there used to be trains that instead of disgorging their
passengers at the docks actually drove (drove?) steamed on to sidings
on the decks of ships then steamed off Stena-like to continue their
journey across Europe?

When the channel tunnel was started, that thoroughly commercial organisation,
British Railways, started a programme of bringing goods waggons into this
country by ship to build up traffic for when the tunnel opened. The tunnel
took longer to build than planned, so this built up to quite a traffic;

Sorry Michael, but that's nonsense. Train ferries were in use for the
transport of goods long before British Railways came into existence.
They only ceased when the Channel Tunnel opened, finally robbing them
of their reason for existence. You might wish to read George
Behrend's and Gary Buchanan's excellent book "Night Ferry" ; a superb
account of the history of these services.

I saw
a lot of Italian goods vehicles in Luton. But BR didn't live to harvest the
fruits of its labours - and were there any?

It's ironical to remember how the pundits said that the building of the
channel tunnel would bring vast traffic and make British Railways safe. But
as I understand it, goods traffic, like passenger traffic, has been
disappointing. It's strange how things turn out, not the opposite of what was
expected, but at a slant that makes the forecasts and their negations both
irrelevant.

The train ferry services and railway-owned container ships were
carrying about 3.2 million tonnes of freight a year before the Channel
Tunnel opened. I understand the current figure for Channel Tunnel is
about 1 million tonnes. It was substantially more, but the problem
with illegal immigrants cost the railways a lot of business. The cost
of using the Channel Tunnel has put off a lot of potential business
too, IMO.

Old December 19th 04, 12:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

The hoi polloi had to change trains, and got very little sleep - but
most students thought it worth it!

To Paris the Newhaven - Dieppe route was cheaper, and probably more
uncomfortable.

It was certainly vile - I used to use it as Newhaven is nearer where my
parents live. Remember the "Valençay", the "Villandry" and the
"Senlac", which were the ferries that plied the route in the 1970s. I
don't know whether it was cheaper - most of my friends did the "Night
Ferry" thing if they were going to London. Most of the time, because I
was working and could afford to pay slightly more, I flew with the
"Silver Arrow" service from Le Touquet - one got a train from Paris to
Le Touquet, and then a plane to Gatwick, from where I could easily catch
a direct train down to the south coast. Once in a blue moon I'd fly
direct from - well, it must have been Orly in those days, or even Le
Bourget, since Charles-de-Gaulle only opened my last year in Paris (I
did fly from there once, just so I could say I had!).
--
"Mrs Redboots"
http://www.amsmyth.demon.co.uk/

Old December 19th 04, 12:40 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Peter Masson wrote to uk.transport.london on Sat, 18 Dec 2004:

It actually left Victoria at 10.00 pm (9.00 pm during GMT). The up train was
booked to leave Dover at 7.20 am and run via Chatham and Catford. More often
than not it ran in its late path, 8.10 am from Dover via Tonbridge and Kent
House, arriving Victoria 9.38 am. Commuters whose train was routed into
platform 1 at Victoria used to curse it, as they had to leave by the side
gate into Hudson Place, making for a long walk round to the Underground.

I thought that back then platform 1 was reserved for Channel trains, as
there were customs facilities?

Old December 19th 04, 12:44 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Michael Bell wrote to uk.transport.london on Sun, 19 Dec 2004:

When the channel tunnel was started, that thoroughly commercial organisation,
British Railways, started a programme of bringing goods waggons into this
country by ship to build up traffic for when the tunnel opened. The tunnel
took longer to build than planned, so this built up to quite a traffic; I saw
a lot of Italian goods vehicles in Luton. But BR didn't live to harvest the
fruits of its labours - and were there any?

Oh, I think so! I had a ten-minute wait at Denmark Hill the other day,
changing trains, and there must have been at least 2 goods trains in
either direction, including a huge car-train. You never used to see
them at all, and now it's almost rare not to!

It's ironical to remember how the pundits said that the building of the
channel tunnel would bring vast traffic and make British Railways safe. But
as I understand it, goods traffic, like passenger traffic, has been
disappointing. It's strange how things turn out, not the opposite of what was
expected, but at a slant that makes the forecasts and their negations both
irrelevant.

It may have been disappointing, but it certainly still exists! And I'm
not sure how disappointing passenger traffic is, since they run the
shuttle service every 20 minutes or thereabouts, and 4 passenger tph
through the tunnel - which surely they wouldn't do by now if passenger
levels didn't warrant it?

Old December 19th 04, 12:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mike Roebuck" wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 07:05:54 +0000, Michael Bell
wrote:

In article , Troy Steadman
wrote:
[...]

It's heading towards the million and a half tonne mark now, I believe. Just
looking at the tonnage figures gives an understated view of the level of
traffic carried- some of the longest-serving trains carry relatively
low-density products, so that the Ford Dagenham - Silla train (which has
been loading 40+ boxes per day per direction) only GROSSES about 1100t,
suggesting a load of about half that. Likewise, the car trains are 750m
long, but probably load about 400t maximum. The stowaway problem dented
things very badly, but subsequently the continuing labour-relations problems
at SNCF have also caused the loss of a lot of container traffic, which takes
the short-sea route to Belgium and then goes forward by rail to Italy.
Brian

Old December 19th 04, 02:53 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

I thought that back then platform 1 was reserved for Channel trains, as
there were customs facilities?

The Night Ferry used platform 2, because it was long enough and because it
had access to the customs and immigration offices. Platform 2 was also used
for Royal Trains - State Visits often came in to Gatwick, and the visting
Heads of States were conveyed to Victoria by Royal Train, and then taken in
a carriage procession to Buckingham Palace. Also used for the Royal Train to
Tattenham Corner on Derby Day.

Platform 1 could be closed off from platform 2 by the folding gates along
the length of the platform. It was certainly used for commuter trains after
the 1967 timetable alterations.

Peter

Old December 19th 04, 03:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:30:06 +0000, Mike Roebuck
wrote:

about 1 million tonnes. It was substantially more, but the problem
with illegal immigrants cost the railways a lot of business. The cost
of using the Channel Tunnel has put off a lot of potential business
too, IMO.

There is also the problem of having to travel through France, which
isn't exactly part of the brave new world of open access operators
leasing Class 66s and trying to grow the railfreight market.

Recently there was some fairly serious(?) talk of starting a Belgium -
UK train ferry, so that rail operators wouldn't have to deal with SNCF
and the French unions.
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old December 19th 04, 04:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mrs Redboots" wrote in message

It may have been disappointing, but it certainly still exists! And I'm
not sure how disappointing passenger traffic is, since they run the
shuttle service every 20 minutes or thereabouts, and 4 passenger tph
through the tunnel - which surely they wouldn't do by now if passenger
levels didn't warrant it?

I see that Eurotunnel are reducing the number of lorry shuttles
considerably, as the increased charges are driving many operators back to
the ferries.
--
Terry Harper, Web Co-ordinator, The Omnibus Society
75th Anniversary 2004, see http://www.omnibussoc.org/75th.htm