Old June 9th 05, 04:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster card on SWT ?

http://www.oystercard.com/use_1.php says that you can use an Oystercard on
"National Rail services in London ... You cannot use Oyster for travel on
mainline trains outside Zone 6 in London".

but

http://oystercard.com/buy_1_4.php#7 says "Pre Pay can only be used on the
following participating National Rail routes:" which does not include the
ones round here.

So if I understand right I cannot use my Oyster Prepay card to go from
Twickenham to Richmond on SWT and thence by underground. If I pay the
standard rail fare for this, then my Oystercard for the rest I will lose
out so I need to buy a one-day Travelcard from a shop, which defeats the
purpose of having an Oystercard. Or am I missing something?

--
Tony Bryer

Old June 9th 05, 09:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Bryer wrote:
http://www.oystercard.com/use_1.php says that you can use an Oyster
card on "National Rail services in London ... You cannot use Oyster
for travel on mainline trains outside Zone 6 in London".

but

http://oystercard.com/buy_1_4.php#7 says "Pre Pay can only be used
on the following participating National Rail routes:" which does
not include the ones round here.

So if I understand right I cannot use my Oyster Prepay card to go
from Twickenham to Richmond on SWT and thence by underground. If I
pay the standard rail fare for this, then my Oystercard for the
rest I will lose out so I need to buy a one-day Travelcard from a
shop, which defeats the purpose of having an Oystercard. Or am I
missing something?

Yes. Don't use PrePay - buy an Oyster Travelcard, which is accepted
everywhere within the zones by TOCs. Last I checked, Twickenham was
within the TfL zones.

Old June 9th 05, 11:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

TheOneKEA wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

[...]

No! Buy a paper (one-day) travelcard! (I think that's what you meant
anyway but all the mention of Oyster worked its way in there).

Prepay will work on National Rail services in the future, but not just yet.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 10th 05, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote:
TheOneKEA wrote:
Tony Bryer wrote:

[...]

Just to add my own clarification to this.

Oyster PrePay cannot be used on most National Rail routes. There are a
few so-called 'participating' National Rail routes where Oyster PrePay
can be used, but these are the exception rather than the rule. For a
list of these routes on the Ask Oyster website see:
http://tinyurl.com/78fu8

The OP's confusion appears to come as a result of comparing the first
and second webpages. However look carefully and all will become clear.
The first webpage says that Season Travelcards (i.e. weekly, monthly or
longer) can be loaded onto an Oyster card - these Oyster cards with
Season Travelcards loaded on them are accepted on all National Rail and
Tube services for the zones they are valid in.

- Oyster PrePay and National Rail = not compatible (apart from a few
exceptions).
- Oyster card loaded with Season Travelcard = valid for use in all the
zones the Travelcard covers.

Presuming that the OP only wishes to travel occasionally, and depending
on the amount of travelling the OP wishes to make, he has a choice
between buying a return from Twickenham to Richmond and then using his
Oyster PrePay on the Tube, or buying a paper one-day Travelcard (and
leaving the Oyster card out of the equation). It's almost certain that
the one-day Travelcard will be cheaper so that's what the OP should
buy.

If the OP wished to buy a Season Travelcard, then he could have that
Season Travelcard loaded onto his Oyster. As Dave Arquati pointed out,
the Oyster PrePay system will be rolled out to National Rail
eventually, but it's still useful having an Oyster card with PrePay at
the moment for bus journeys as well as any single Tube journeys as
it'll save you money.

Dave - as an aside, do you have any definitive info on when PrePay is
coming to National Rail?

Old June 10th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Dave - as an aside, do you have any definitive info on when PrePay is
coming to National Rail?

I'd also be interested to know if there's a firm answer - I thought it
was one of Ken's "nice to have" ideas rather than anything definite. I
don't think any stations in South London have validators yet (other
than the few which are barriered or have direct connection to a Tube)
so it would be quite a big job. And will one or two validators per
platform/station really be enough at busy stations like Herne Hill?

Old June 10th 05, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Dave Arquati wrote:
Prepay will work on National Rail services in the future, but not
just yet.

Thanks for the replies: it does seem surprising that they have not
already worked it in given that there must already be a revenue sharing
agreement to cover paper Travelcards bought from shops, underground
stations and rail stations.

--
Tony Bryer

Old June 10th 05, 02:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tony Bryer wrote:
In article , Dave Arquati wrote:

Prepay will work on National Rail services in the future, but not
just yet.

Thanks for the replies: it does seem surprising that they have not
already worked it in given that there must already be a revenue sharing
agreement to cover paper Travelcards bought from shops, underground
stations and rail stations.

The main reason Prepay hasn't already been rolled out to the National
Rail network in London is because most TOCs are unwilling to foot the
bill for installing Oyster readers at their stations.

I believe that Silverlink is an exception and is already working with
TfL to introduce readers at their stations. Tube paper tickets are now
valid on Silverlink's West and North London Line services (WLL only from
Willesden Jn - West Brompton), so once Oyster readers are installed,
prepay can be rolled out almost straight away to those lines.

As for the other TOCs, the DfT's Railways Bill 2005 mentions more
control of ticketing for the Mayor; this could mean that TOCs will be
forced into some agreement over Oyster (or perhaps the DfT will help
fund the installation jointly with TfL).

An introduction of Prepay across National Rail should take place within
two years, but obviously there's no guarantee.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 11th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Arquati wrote
[...]
Prepay will work on National Rail services in the future, but not
just yet.

[...]
As for the other TOCs, the DfT's Railways Bill 2005 mentions more
control of ticketing for the Mayor; this could mean that TOCs will be

forced into some agreement over Oyster (or perhaps the DfT will help
fund the installation jointly with TfL).

An introduction of Prepay across National Rail should take place

within
two years, but obviously there's no guarantee.

SWT states (in the free mag anyway) that they only have 19 barriered
stations, so (a) I have visited most of them and (b\0 they don't have
any infrastructure installed at most stations to handle Oyster
validation.

--
Mike D

Old June 12th 05, 04:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
Dave Arquati wrote
[...]

Prepay will work on National Rail services in the future, but not
just yet.

[...]

As for the other TOCs, the DfT's Railways Bill 2005 mentions more
control of ticketing for the Mayor; this could mean that TOCs will be
forced into some agreement over Oyster (or perhaps the DfT will help
fund the installation jointly with TfL).

An introduction of Prepay across National Rail should take place within
two years, but obviously there's no guarantee.

SWT states (in the free mag anyway) that they only have 19 barriered
stations, so (a) I have visited most of them and (b\0 they don't have
any infrastructure installed at most stations to handle Oyster
validation.

Unbarried stations (like most Silverlink North & West London Line ones)
should get validators installed on the platforms, e.g. Farringdon /
London Bridge Thameslink, Kensington (Olympia).

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 12th 05, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave Arquati
writes
The main reason Prepay hasn't already been rolled out to the National
Rail network in London is because most TOCs are unwilling to foot the
bill for installing Oyster readers at their stations.

There are Oyster readers at Clapham Junction, but the can not be used by
pre-pay.
--
Clive