Old January 17th 06, 05:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More aural intrusion

Not content with the awful beeps and robot-voices on most LU rolling
stock, TfL are now extending this intrusion to buses (already blessed
with "DOORS OPENING", "DOORS CLOSING" messages ad infinitum on some
routes).

Any chance if a 'quiet' deck; and when all vehicles are supposed to be
so-fitted, will buses be cut if the equipment fails, as per wheelchair
ramps?

Old January 17th 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

This is excellent news.

Agreed. I for one will find it very helpful not having to ask a surly
driver to tell me when we reach a certain stop, only to have him
'accidentally' forget!

Ian

Old January 17th 06, 09:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Laurence Payne wrote:

You mean the "next stop" announcements? Goodness, you're a grouch!

The same announcement every time, not a useful next stop announcement
as should be provided.

Neil

Old January 18th 06, 01:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:38:50 GMT, "Richard J." wrote:

This is excellent news.

Indeed! I heard the system relies on GPS for navigation. I wonder -- Does it
have its own GPS receiver or does it integrate into the AVL system which all TfL
buses will eventually have? If the latter, then passengers will also benefit
from more evenly spaced buses and more accurate Countdown displays, which would
be nice.

Old January 18th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Marc Brett wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:38:50 GMT, "Richard J." wrote:

This is excellent news.

Indeed! I heard the system relies on GPS for navigation. I wonder -- Does it
have its own GPS receiver or does it integrate into the AVL system which all TfL
buses will eventually have? If the latter, then passengers will also benefit
from more evenly spaced buses and more accurate Countdown displays, which would
be nice.

The latter.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old January 18th 06, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , R.C. Payne
writes
Yeah, and all those irritating conductors getting on our nerves saying
things like, "hold very tight, please," or, "mind the stairs."

The conductors on the Heritage Routemaster routes are *noticeably* good
at calling out. This was a practice which had been in decline on RMs
for years and its nice to have it back!
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old January 18th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , R.C. Payne
writes
Yeah, and all those irritating conductors getting on our nerves saying
things like, "hold very tight, please," or, "mind the stairs."

The conductors on the Heritage Routemaster routes are *noticeably* good
at calling out. This was a practice which had been in decline on RMs
for years and its nice to have it back!

Do you think part of their training involves listening to a certain song
by Flanders and Swann? As an undergraduate I was played another of
their songs in our thermodynamics lectures, and it certainly was helpful.

Robin