Old January 18th 06, 03:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More aural intrusion

In message , R.C. Payne
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , R.C. Payne
writes
Yeah, and all those irritating conductors getting on our nerves
saying things like, "hold very tight, please," or, "mind the stairs."

The conductors on the Heritage Routemaster routes are *noticeably*
good at calling out. This was a practice which had been in decline
RMs for years and its nice to have it back!

Do you think part of their training involves listening to a certain
song by Flanders and Swann?

Do you know I think about "Transport of Delight" every time I ride on
one of the Heritage routes now! :-))
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old January 18th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 02:38:50 +0000, Marc Brett
wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:38:50 GMT, "Richard J." wrote:

This is excellent news.

Indeed! I heard the system relies on GPS for navigation. I wonder -- Does it
have its own GPS receiver or does it integrate into the AVL system which all TfL
buses will eventually have? If the latter, then passengers will also benefit
from more evenly spaced buses and more accurate Countdown displays, which would
be nice.

this is the relevant link from the TfL Buses website

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/ini-ibus.asp

--
Paul C

Old January 18th 06, 07:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:10:50 on Wed, 18
Jan 2006, R.C. Payne remarked:
Yeah, and all those irritating conductors getting on our nerves saying
things like, "hold very tight, please,"

you left out the "DING DING".

or, "mind the stairs."

and those notices upstairs that always seemed to be altered to say
"Please mind your seat when leaving your head".
Old January 18th 06, 10:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

and those notices upstairs that always seemed to be altered to say
"Please mind your seat when leaving your head".

"Fleas in your head" was the Merseyrail one...

Neil

Old January 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 16:48:54 +0000, Paul Corfield
wrote in :

this is the relevant link from the TfL Buses website

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/ini-ibus.asp

Somebody should have proof-read it!

"The new service control workstations being provided to 90 garages
throughout London will provide comprehensive displays and tables of bus
location and performance than the current system."

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. ] Room 40-1-B12, CERN

Old January 20th 06, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

Not content with the awful beeps and robot-voices on most LU rolling
stock, TfL are now extending this intrusion to buses (already blessed
with "DOORS OPENING", "DOORS CLOSING" messages ad infinitum on some
routes).

Well I'm glad they're now actually saying "DOORS CLOSING" rather than
that infernal BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP that
they previously tried installing. The question now is: how do we get
London Underground and the other TOCs to follow suit?

--
Aidan Stanger
http://www.bettercrossrail.co.uk