Old June 20th 06, 04:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Overheating on the Tube

I have today found out that on 1973 stock (Piccadilly Line), if one
sits on the VERY end seat, i.e. nearest the driver's bulkhead, a faint
stream of airconditioning breeze can be felt if one sits with one's
head right against the glass! I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I
think that this is the ONLY ventillated seat in driving carriages.

Most likely due to the fact that the driver's cab is air conditioned
(when it deigns to work!)

Old June 21st 06, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
wrote:
See the first sentence, "aircon will be factory fitted in S-stock".

Your point being?

That it will no longer be the case that standing by an open inter-car
window will be the only way you can keep cool. Instead, there will be a
load of vents and grilles blowing cold air into the car in summer and
warm air in winter. This will mean that the ambience is pleasant,
rather than either tropical or frozen.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Sorry, John, I've been away a while, and hence lost this thread's
continuation.

As, a subsequent poster has written: the problem with air conditioning
is that it very oten "gets it wrong" and you can feel far too cold in
Summer and vice versa in Winter. This is something I have frequently
experienced on Southern's new 377 / 375 stock on the Brighton line.

Give me proper passenger-regulated ventilation any day! A cool breeze
in Summer and a normal heater in Winter. These can be had for a
fraction of the cost and complication of air conditioning.

Marc.

Old June 21st 06, 01:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:

Couldn't agree more re poorly designed office AC systems. However, have
you travelled on the NYC subway / Madrid metro? In both cases, the AC
seems to work well at keeping the cars cool without creating much of a
draught. Hopefully Bombardier will take note of whatever systems are
used there when designing the S-stock.

That would be good. Experience with inter-city aircon doesn't fill me
with a lot of confidence 8-).

Francis

Old June 21st 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
Sorry, John, I've been away a while, and hence lost this thread's
continuation.

As, a subsequent poster has written: the problem with air conditioning
is that it very oten "gets it wrong" and you can feel far too cold in
Summer and vice versa in Winter. This is something I have frequently
experienced on Southern's new 377 / 375 stock on the Brighton line.

Give me proper passenger-regulated ventilation any day! A cool breeze
in Summer and a normal heater in Winter. These can be had for a
fraction of the cost and complication of air conditioning.

WRT surface stock, I'm agnostic: there are obvious benefits to
passenger-regulated ventilation, but also obvious negatives.

I find that SWT's Desiros have better temperature control than either
the 455s or the mk1 stock; I've only ever had temperature problems on
mk3 stock when the AC was broken (the last year of VWC operation,
pretty much exclusively); and problems on 158s and 166s have generally
only occured when some twit has opened the windows. I don't have much
Electrostar experience, though.

Underground is a different story - it's clear from making any journey
in the rush hour in summer, whether that's A, C or D stock, that
passenger-regulated ventilation isn't adequate.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 21st 06, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Just what I was going to say. I am required to wear suit etc while
appearing in court. That can be a pretty heavy load in hot weather, but
there's really no option.

While "In Court", yes, but I assume they have proper ventilation in
courthouses.
We are talking about one's journey to/from work/court.

Richard [in SG19]

Old June 21st 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard M Willis wrote:
wrote in message

Just what I was going to say. I am required to wear suit etc while
appearing in court. That can be a pretty heavy load in hot weather, but
there's really no option.

While "In Court", yes, but I assume they have proper ventilation in
courthouses.
We are talking about one's journey to/from work/court.

Richard [in SG19]

I hear what you say, Richard, but there are three issues.

Firstly, I don't think that one's client would like to see one dressed
in a casual way and enter the Court building and then change (a la
David Cameron!).

Secondly, if appearing in the higher Courts we are already carrying a
set of robes, wig etc., not to mention books, files etc., so a change
of clothing would be virtually impossible to carry as well.

Thirdly, the lower Courts have no changing facilities, and most of the
higher Courts have unisex robing rooms, so one is unlikely to be able
to change one's clothes in privacy.

Marc.

Old June 22nd 06, 12:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Jun 2006 05:42:52 -0700, "
wrote:

Give me proper passenger-regulated ventilation any day! A cool breeze
in Summer and a normal heater in Winter. These can be had for a
fraction of the cost and complication of air conditioning.

Hmm. I've taken to waiting a few minutes later to catch the Heathrow
Connect (Ealing Broadway - Paddington) rather than the FGW train
because it's so much more pleasant.

Nice at 2230/2238, essential at 1214/1223.

--
James Farrar
. @gmail.com