Old June 10th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Colossal temperatures on bus

A news reports earlier in the week reminded me of the competition a yer or
so back for ideas on cooling the tube. If they cant keep a bus above ground
cool then they will have no chacne to getting the tube to remain cool.
The Routemasters didn't have this overheating problem, simply because they
had windows that opened properly.
The new style busses seem to have windows that do absolutely nothing apart
from direct a breeze over the ceiling and out the opposite side. I know that
TFL have added extra windows upstaris on some busses, but once again they
are on the side of the bus. It's plain sense to install them on the front so
that a breeze flows through the lenght of the bus. And proper windows that
dropped down and out of the way like the old routemaster wind up ones would
solve many problems.
My route to work in the morning, has everyone sitting onthe left hand side,
to avoid the heat of the sun on the right, however we then have to sit with
a bloody great heating vent blowing up our legs, even in the middle of
summer!!!!
Please, someone, can we design a bus that at least allows the passengers to
breathe.

"Roy Stilling" wrote in message
.uk...
Marc Brett wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 19:35:13 GMT, "Alan OBrien"
wrote:

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not?
Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed
many
new buses have this feature.

There was an article in last night's Standard that said TfL have
concluded it doesn't make a difference.

Roy

Old June 10th 06, 04:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

For some reason, the upper decks of the 211 (even in Winter) are
grossly hot.

I think i identified a contributory cause this afternoon on a no 30 - on
the upper deck the heating was on. I asked the driver - he seemed
clueless.

E.
Old June 11th 06, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Tuesday and Friday I had to withstand volcanic temperatures on the 280
bus between Mitcham & Sutton.
Upstairs there was no possibility of opening a window; I wonder why not?
Was
air-con meant to be installed?

I think I might get one of those thermometers from Maplins.

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed
many
new buses have this feature.

There was an article in last night's Standard that said TfL have
concluded it doesn't make a difference.

Roy

PMFJI ~ I ran a large fleet of public school (yellow) buses in the States
for 30 years. When it became OK to paint the rooftops white, many studies
were conducted to see if it helped the temps. There were as many
conclusions as there were studies. The largest benefactor appeared to be
the white paint manufacturer. However, a semi-common thread amongst all the
studies I was aware of said that if three things were used in tandem, then
there may be up to a three degree drop in perceived temperature.

1. Roof painted white
2. Windows tinted to at least 28% reduction in light transmission
3. Air circulation via front and rear roof vents (air in front - exhaust
out rear)

So there you have it, the ubiquitous wind chill factor. Hope this helps.

Rich

Old June 11th 06, 07:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article ,
dated Sun, 11 Jun 2006 14:30:11 remote, seen in
news:uk.transport.london, mookie89 posted :

Marc Brett wrote:

Does painting the roof white help with inside temperatures? I've noticed
many
new buses have this feature.

PMFJI ~ I ran a large fleet of public school (yellow) buses in the States
for 30 years. When it became OK to paint the rooftops white, many studies
were conducted to see if it helped the temps. There were as many
conclusions as there were studies. The largest benefactor appeared to be
the white paint manufacturer. However, a semi-common thread amongst all the
studies I was aware of said that if three things were used in tandem, then
there may be up to a three degree drop in perceived temperature.

1. Roof painted white
2. Windows tinted to at least 28% reduction in light transmission
3. Air circulation via front and rear roof vents (air in front - exhaust
out rear)

UK buses are frequently double-deckers, and operate north of 50 deg N.

US school buses are AIUI single-deckers, and operate south of 50 deg N.

In our joint Summer, the Sun is at about 20 deg N.

Therefore, the effect of roof-colour should be substantially greater in
the US in comparison with here, both for roof/side area and roof/side
angle; though the difference will be diminished if school buses avoid
mid-day operation.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. Turnpike v4.00 MIME. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links;
Old June 11th 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Yes Dr John,But it does`nt take away from the essential simplicity of
Mookies Three Point Plan.

Quarter Drop windows as standard Side and Front with appropriately placed
Throughflow Vents should do the trick......Unless of course somebody has
friends in the Air Con industry....???

Old June 12th 06, 03:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
For some reason, the upper decks of the 211 (even in Winter) are
grossly hot.

I think i identified a contributory cause this afternoon on a no 30 - on
the upper deck the heating was on. I asked the driver - he seemed
clueless.

This seems common on a number of routes I use, including the 49, 94 and 148.

--
Dave Arquati
Imperial College, SW7
Old June 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:
For some reason, the upper decks of the 211 (even in Winter) are
grossly hot.

I think i identified a contributory cause this afternoon on a no 30 - on
the upper deck the heating was on. I asked the driver - he seemed
clueless.

Loads of buses have the heating on all year round, regardless of how hot
it is. I really don't know why, unless it's just driver
forgetfulness/stupidity/error/malice.
Old June 12th 06, 08:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Newt wrote:
eastender wrote:
For some reason, the upper decks of the 211 (even in Winter) are
grossly hot.

I think i identified a contributory cause this afternoon on a no
30 - on the upper deck the heating was on. I asked the driver - he
seemed clueless.

Loads of buses have the heating on all year round, regardless of
how hot it is. I really don't know why, unless it's just driver
forgetfulness/stupidity/error/malice.

So have you complained about this to the driver, or the bus operator, or
to TfL? And what response have you had?
--
Richard J.

Old June 12th 06, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 20:29:30 +0100, Dave Newt
wrote:

Loads of buses have the heating on all year round, regardless of how hot
it is. I really don't know why, unless it's just driver
forgetfulness/stupidity/error/malice.

The driver I spoke to said he had no control over the heating -- it was set at
the garage.