Old December 18th 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Own journeyplanner

Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

1) Shepherd's Bush: There is a station by that name on Central and on
Hammersmith & City - are that really different stations? Can someone change
there? How far apart are they? And... why the naming?

2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

3) Tower Hill / Tower Gateway: I remember having changed there from DLR to
Circle or so, different stations close to another, right?

4) Bank / Monument: Bank is for Waterloo, Central and Northern, Monument is
Circle and District? How far are they? Different stations really or one big
one connected sub level?

5) Central line Hainault Branch: How do the trains run there from central
london? Either all the way straight to Epping, or ... to Hainault, but which
way? What I mean is: How do I reach Chigwell or leave? Does the train loop
through Hainault going to Woodford and back to London? Or is Hainault
reached from both sides and terminus station? And how do trains go from
Hainault, both directions to London or just one??

Quite a lot of questions for a project that does make little sense in the
first place... but it is a lot of fun learning the network layout, so I
might as well get it correct... Thanks if one wants to help!

Ralf

Btw: I did not yet create routings for the DLR, the Northern or District
line... Their layout, Kensington Olympia, Richmond and Wimbledon are full of
questions too... but one at a time!

Old December 18th 06, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ralf Mayer wrote:
Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to
take with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes
through most lines already... but some question to the line setup
however remain, I am certain you will have no difficulties helping me
with them:
1) Shepherd's Bush: There is a station by that name on Central and on
Hammersmith & City - are that really different stations? Can someone
change there? How far apart are they? And... why the naming?

If you can't answer this question on your own, I think you should give up on
your project now.

Old December 18th 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ralf Mayer wrote:
Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

1) Shepherd's Bush: There is a station by that name on Central and on
Hammersmith & City - are that really different stations? Can someone change
there? How far apart are they? And... why the naming?

These two stations are about 600m apart along Uxbridge Road. Not sure
if it is a valid change, but definately different stations.

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...179919&A=Y&Z=1

2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

The H & C platforms are basically the length of Paddington mainline
station away from the entrance to the Circle/District and Bakerloo
station. In addition, there is a reasonable walk from the Bakerloo to
the District platforms, but this is all behind the barriers. You only
have to go through barriers to get from the H&C to the other lines (or
vice versa).

The arrow here is on the H&C station, the other roundels are the
District/Bakerloo entrances
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...181494&A=Y&Z=1

3) Tower Hill / Tower Gateway: I remember having changed there from DLR to
Circle or so, different stations close to another, right?

Yes, about 200m apart

see
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap...180780&A=Y&Z=1

4) Bank / Monument: Bank is for Waterloo, Central and Northern, Monument is
Circle and District? How far are they? Different stations really or one big
one connected sub level?

This is all one station, but it is a LONG walk from the District to the
Central (passing along or beside the Northern line platforms, depending
on the route)

5) Central line Hainault Branch: How do the trains run there from central
london? Either all the way straight to Epping, or ... to Hainault, but which
way? What I mean is: How do I reach Chigwell or leave? Does the train loop
through Hainault going to Woodford and back to London? Or is Hainault
reached from both sides and terminus station? And how do trains go from
Hainault, both directions to London or just one??

I'll leave some one else to answer most of this, but I thing that the
loop trains all run from central london to Woodford via Hainault these
days. It does change though.

Old December 18th 06, 12:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I'll leave some one else to answer most of this, but I **thing** that the
loop trains all run from central london to Woodford via Hainault these
days. It does change though.

this should be 'think'

Old December 18th 06, 12:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ralf Mayer wrote:

Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

1) Shepherd's Bush: There is a station by that name on Central and on
Hammersmith & City - are that really different stations? Can someone change
there? How far apart are they? And... why the naming?

Different stations, about 10 minutes' walk apart; the name is the same
for historical reasons (the CLRC and Metropolitan Railway each called
their station in Shepherd's Bush after the district's name). As part of
the new White City development, the H&C station will be renamed
"Shepherd's Bush Market" to avoid confusion (
http://www.alwaystouchout.com/project/24 ).

2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

Actually double. The Circle and Bakerloo platforms are linked, inside
the barriers; then the H&C station is actually part of the National
Rail station, alongside the mainline platforms. If you want to change
from H&C to Bakerloo at Paddington, you need to leave one set of
barriers, walk the length of the platform and station concourse, then
go through more barriers.

3) Tower Hill / Tower Gateway: I remember having changed there from DLR to
Circle or so, different stations close to another, right?

Yup. Treated as one for ticketing purposes (Oyster PAYG and singles).

4) Bank / Monument: Bank is for Waterloo, Central and Northern, Monument is
Circle and District? How far are they? Different stations really or one big
one connected sub level?

Bank Central is some way from Monument Circle & District. The other
lines are more or less in between.

5) Central line Hainault Branch: How do the trains run there from central
london? Either all the way straight to Epping, or ... to Hainault, but which
way? What I mean is: How do I reach Chigwell or leave? Does the train loop
through Hainault going to Woodford and back to London? Or is Hainault
reached from both sides and terminus station? And how do trains go from
Hainault, both directions to London or just one??

Trains through Chigwell generally either run from London to Woodford
via Hainault and back, or shuttle between Woodford and Hainault. I
think there may also be a very few that run from London to Hainault via
Woodford.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old December 18th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Sam Sam is offline

Andy wrote:
Ralf Mayer wrote:
2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

The H & C platforms are basically the length of Paddington mainline
station away from the entrance to the Circle/District and Bakerloo
station.

A related question - say you want to go from Liverpool St to
Paddington, with the intention of catching the Heathrow Express. What's
better for the change at Paddington - to get a Circle train and arrive
at the front of the station, or to wait for an H&C and come along side?

Sam

Old December 18th 06, 02:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Sam wrote:

Andy wrote:
Ralf Mayer wrote:
2) Paddington: Seems to be triple. On H & C as an isolated station, but with
the circle to allow transfers (to where). Then one circle on the Bakerloo,
and another one on the District/Circle section. How is the setup there, how
many different Paddingtons are there and how can one interchange from one to
the other? Do you leave the station / ticket gates to change?

The H & C platforms are basically the length of Paddington mainline
station away from the entrance to the Circle/District and Bakerloo
station.

A related question - say you want to go from Liverpool St to Paddington,
with the intention of catching the Heathrow Express. What's better for
the change at Paddington - to get a Circle train and arrive at the front
of the station, or to wait for an H&C and come along side?

Depends on how long it is from the next circle to the next H&C. Anything
over three minutes and it's definitely not worth it.

Worse yet is the dilemma you have if all three trains on the board at
Liverpool Street are Metropolitans - do you go to Baker Street and change
to the Bakerloo? In my experience, this happens far more often. Although
oddly enough, whenever i'm trying to get from King's Cross to Kilburn,
where a Met would be handy, it's never anything but circles!

tom

--
not to act in accordance with reason is contrary to God's nature --
Pope Benedict XVI
Old December 18th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, Sam
writes
Andy wrote:
Ralf Mayer wrote:
[...]

Due to the cost factor I would travel From Liverpool St to Holborn,
changing to the Piccadilly for Heathrow, The Heathrow is rip-off unless
you are travelling from Paddington.
--
martyn dawe
Old December 18th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 18 Dec 2006, Ralf Mayer wrote:

3) Tower Hill / Tower Gateway: I remember having changed there from DLR
to Circle or so, different stations close to another, right?

Right. Also close to Fenchurch Street NR station.

4) Bank / Monument: Bank is for Waterloo, Central and Northern, Monument
is Circle and District? How far are they? Different stations really or
one big one connected sub level?

Depends what you mean by 'really'. AIUI, Bank and Monument were initially
separate (Bank on the Central line and Monument on the District), but when
the Northern line came through, its platforms were laid more or less
between the two, connecting them. Here are some pictures:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.b...aps/ltmonu.jpg
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/clive.b...aps/ltbank.gif

Basically, you have the Central and W&C at one end, the District/Circle at
the other, and the Northern and DLR in between; changing between two lines
which are at the same location is quite quick, changing between a line at
one end and one in the middle is reasonably quick, and changing between a
line at one end and one at the other takes ages.

And in case you missed them, Hammersmith is like Paddington, and there are
two different Edgware Roads as well!

5) Central line Hainault Branch: How do the trains run there from central
london? Either all the way straight to Epping, or ... to Hainault,
but which way?

To a first approximation, there isn't a loop at all: at Leytonstone,
trains either go to Epping via Woodford, or Woodford via Hainault. The
truth is that there are a few trains, the number varying according to the
time of day, which run right round the loop, from central London to
Newbury Park to Hainault to Woodford to central London.

As of next friday, it's about this simple; at present, there's the extra
complication that no trains at all go from Hainault to Woodford after 2000
(although there are still trains from Leytonstone to Hainault).

What I mean is: How do I reach Chigwell or leave?

Why on earth would you want to go to Chigwell? Absurd.

Probably via Hainault, though.

Does the train loop through Hainault going to Woodford and back to
London?

Occasionally, as i mentioned. Most of the time, it turns round at
Woodford.

Or is Hainault reached from both sides and terminus station?

Hainault is not itself a terminus, if that's what you mean. Except until
next friday, in the evening.

And how do trains go from Hainault, both directions to London or just
one??

Mostly, trains from Hainault go west to Woodford, or south to central
London via Newbury Park; some go west to central London via Woodford.

Unless i have this all horribly wrong.

tom

Old December 18th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
d d is offline

"Ralf Mayer" wrote in message
Well, I did start gathering data and making my own journeyplanner to take
with me on a mobile, and I am able to find quickest routes through most
lines already... but some question to the line setup however remain, I am
certain you will have no difficulties helping me with them:

I'm really not big into parade-raining, and I do apologise if this seems at
all rude, but here goes...

http://wap.tfl.gov.uk/

dave