Old March 12th 07, 01:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Thameslink

I will be travelling from London (Kings Cross Thames link) (KCM) to Brighton
on a Saver return (£24). (I am aware of the alternatives via London
Victoria, but will be arriving at Kings Cross from the North so thought that
would be easier.) I will be returning to London a couple of days later, but
need to get to Waterloo (to catch the Eurostar). My question is will my
return ticket to (KCM) allow me to alight at London Bridge (LBG) to catch a
train to Waterloo East (WAE). Or will I just break my journey at LBG and
take the jubilee line to Waterloo (I still should have some PAYG credit on
my Oyster card).

Thanks in anticipation.

Peter

Sydney

Old March 12th 07, 09:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

peter wrote:
I will be travelling from London (Kings Cross Thames link) (KCM) to
Brighton on a Saver return (£24). (I am aware of the alternatives
via London Victoria, but will be arriving at Kings Cross from the
North so thought that would be easier.) I will be returning to London
a couple of days later, but need to get to Waterloo (to catch the
Eurostar). My question is will my return ticket to (KCM) allow me to
alight at London Bridge (LBG) to catch a train to Waterloo East
(WAE). Or will I just break my journey at LBG and take the jubilee
line to Waterloo (I still should have some PAYG credit on my Oyster
card).

If your ticket is a Saver (which is non-operator specific), then you would
be better off taking a Brighton Express service (Southern Railway,
http://www.southernrailway.com) from Brighton to Clapham Junction and
changing there onto any South West Trains (http://www.swtrains.co.uk)
service intoWaterloo mainline. It will be much faster (stopping only at East
Croydon) and will deliver you onto the main concourse at Waterloo.

Old March 12th 07, 09:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:53:46 +1100, peter wrote:

I will be travelling from London (Kings Cross Thames link) (KCM) to Brighton
on a Saver return (£24). (I am aware of the alternatives via London
Victoria, but will be arriving at Kings Cross from the North so thought that
would be easier.) I will be returning to London a couple of days later, but
need to get to Waterloo (to catch the Eurostar). My question is will my
return ticket to (KCM) allow me to alight at London Bridge (LBG) to catch a
train to Waterloo East (WAE).

Yes. According to the NR Routeing Guide, a valid route for the ticket
is Brighton - London Bridge (via Forest Hill) - Waterloo East -
Waterloo - Clapham Junction - Streatham Common - Tulse Hill - Herne
Hill - Blackfriars - KXTL (good luck getting that past a ticket
inspector, though!), so you're entitled to use this route and abandon
your journey at Waterloo.

Another valid route for the ticket is Brighton - Clapham Junction -
Waterloo - Waterloo East - London Bridge - KXTL, so you could also use
this route as far as Waterloo.

(All of the above assumes the ticket is marked "Not Underground",
rather than "FCC Only" or similar.)
Old March 12th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mar 12, 10:50 am, asdf wrote:
Yes. According to the NR Routeing Guide, a valid route for the ticket
is Brighton - London Bridge (via Forest Hill) - Waterloo East -
Waterloo - Clapham Junction - Streatham Common - Tulse Hill - Herne
Hill - Blackfriars - KXTL (good luck getting that past a ticket
inspector, though!), so you're entitled to use this route and abandon
your journey at Waterloo.

But presumably only if you ignore the "fares" rule. The maps don't
give carte blanche to do something ridiculous, as there are other
rules that come into effect first to narrow down the possibilities.

PhilD

Old March 12th 07, 03:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

PhilD wrote:
On Mar 12, 10:50 am, asdf wrote:
Yes. According to the NR Routeing Guide, a valid route for the ticket
is Brighton - London Bridge (via Forest Hill) - Waterloo East -
Waterloo - Clapham Junction - Streatham Common - Tulse Hill - Herne
Hill - Blackfriars - KXTL (good luck getting that past a ticket
inspector, though!), so you're entitled to use this route and abandon
your journey at Waterloo.

But presumably only if you ignore the "fares" rule.

Since there is no choice of routeing point, the fares rule does not
apply here.

This still seems to be taking the **** though. Since this route takes
you into the London Group, back out, and back in again, someone might
argue that it is doubling back, despite "doubling back" being defined as
only being going through the same *station* twice. I think they would be
wrong, but you might still expect some opposition.

You might ask on uk.railway for another opinion.
--
Michael Hoffman

Old March 12th 07, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jack Taylor" wrote in message
peter wrote:
[...]

Thanks Jack, (and the others that have replied)
Not sure what will be marked in the ticket (it may be FCC only) as when
playing with the journey planner using London (generic) to Brighton it comes
up with the £24 return from London Bridge (same as the fare from KCM) but
it shows a fare of £24.90 from Victoria. So maybe the £24 will be marked as
FCC only and the £24.90 is the "any permitted" . I will wait and decide what
to do when I get the printed ticked in my hot little hand
cheers
Peter
Sydney

Old March 12th 07, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

peter wrote:

Not sure what will be marked in the ticket (it may be FCC only) as when
playing with the journey planner using London (generic) to Brighton it comes
up with the £24 return from London Bridge (same as the fare from KCM) but
it shows a fare of £24.90 from Victoria. So maybe the £24 will be marked as
FCC only and the £24.90 is the "any permitted" . I will wait and decide what
to do when I get the printed ticked in my hot little hand

The GBP 24.00 KCM-BTN ticket is route NOT UNDERGROUND.

For London Terminals, the ANY PERMITTED ticket price is set by Southern
at GBP 24.90, but there is a FCC ONLY version for GBP 24.00.
--
Michael Hoffman