Old October 4th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Crossrail noes fail

At 19:10:35 on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 Tom Anderson opined:-

Indeed. I seem to remember that, when London was awarded the Olympics,
it was stated that Crossrail was planned to open in 2013.

Funny. I seem to remember that when London got the Olympics, is was made
very clear that Crossrail wouldn't be ready by then - although it was
claimed that Thameslink would be.

That's what I said.
--
Thoss
E-mail address usenetatamoladdotorgdotuk
Old October 5th 07, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 4, 11:19 am, Mr Thant
wrote:
On Oct 4, 9:26 am, Boltar wrote:

This would be for trains dedicated to the new crossrail tunnel route
just like the shuttle trains at the channel tunnel. All they'd need to
do is have a depot at one end and a turnaround at the other. Normal UK
trains could also use the tunnel too of course for through journeys.

Seems like a good idea, but you need most of the trains to continue
beyond Stratford and Custom House, and those would need to be single
deckers. Realistically, that means you could only run at most a third
of the trains as double deckers, and that's only by limiting the
service to Abbey Wood to 4 tph. It looks like a non-starter to me.

I don't see why (though I've not seen any proposed timetable). Are
they planning a near tube frequency service or will it be a national
rail once every 10 or 15 minute jobbie? If its the latter I suspect
its usefulness in moving local traffic would be somewhat negated
(who's going to wait potentially 15 minutes for a train if they can
get on a tube train in 3?)

B2003

Old October 5th 07, 09:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 01:26:39 -0700, Boltar
wrote:

I don't see why (though I've not seen any proposed timetable). Are
they planning a near tube frequency service or will it be a national
rail once every 10 or 15 minute jobbie? If its the latter I suspect
its usefulness in moving local traffic would be somewhat negated
(who's going to wait potentially 15 minutes for a train if they can
get on a tube train in 3?)

This link

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/informationround/$FILE/services_panel.pdf

gives an overview of the timetable proposals. Looks like 24 tph over
the central section at peak times with pretty frequent services to the
east. I'm less convinced about turning 14 tph at Paddington but hey at
least the thing is going to be built.

--
Paul C

Old October 5th 07, 09:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Oct, 10:06, Paul Corfield wrote:

This link

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/informationround/$F...

gives an overview of the timetable proposals. Looks like 24 tph over
the central section at peak times with pretty frequent services to the
east. I'm less convinced about turning 14 tph at Paddington but hey at
least the thing is going to be built.

Turning 14tph at Paddington will only be necessary if they don't
extend the wires to Reading (because if they do, then XR trains can
take over all slow-lines GW services). Since the Reading resignalling
should be long-since complete by the time XR is open to Maidenhead,
I'll be amazed if the wires aren't extended more or less
immediately...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old October 5th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 5, 9:26 am, Boltar wrote:
I don't see why (though I've not seen any proposed timetable). Are
they planning a near tube frequency service or will it be a national
rail once every 10 or 15 minute jobbie?

The plan is to run 24 trains an hour east of Paddington, with half
going to each of the Eastern branches. The 12 Crossrail trains an
hour to the Isle of Dogs branch will move as many people there as the
entire Jubilee Line. The same on the Stratford branch with the Central
Line and even more so on the central section.

The high frequency probably isn't needed west of Paddington or east of
Custom House, so a double deck shuttle service could plausibly run
between those points as you suggested, but it'd still only make up a
fraction of the overall service.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old October 5th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 05 Oct 2007 02:13:58 -0700, John B wrote:

On 5 Oct, 10:06, Paul Corfield wrote:

This link

http://www.crossrail.co.uk/80256B090053AF4C/Files/informationround/$F...

gives an overview of the timetable proposals. Looks like 24 tph over
the central section at peak times with pretty frequent services to the
east. I'm less convinced about turning 14 tph at Paddington but hey at
least the thing is going to be built.

Turning 14tph at Paddington will only be necessary if they don't
extend the wires to Reading (because if they do, then XR trains can
take over all slow-lines GW services). Since the Reading resignalling
should be long-since complete by the time XR is open to Maidenhead,
I'll be amazed if the wires aren't extended more or less
immediately...

Well let's hope that common sense does prevail and we do get
electrification to Reading and hopefully beyond. Still we should be
grateful that we've got Overground / ELLX Phase 1, Thameslink 3,000,000
and now Crossrail.

A shame that Ken has had to sacrifice tram developments in order to get
Crossrail but I guess it's a far bigger prize. All these rail schemes
give Ken some interesting ammo for the next Mayoral election - I wonder
what else he has up his sleeve by way of transport development as he's
got an awful lot of stuff through and into construction?

--
Paul C

Old October 5th 07, 03:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 4 Oct, 22:01, thoss wrote:
At 19:10:35 on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 Tom Anderson opined:-

Indeed. I seem to remember that, when London was awarded the Olympics,
it was stated that Crossrail was planned to open in 2013.

Funny. I seem to remember that when London got the Olympics, is was made
very clear that Crossrail wouldn't be ready by then - although it was
claimed that Thameslink would be.

That's what I said.

Indeed, in my reading, you said exactly that!

Old October 5th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 Oct, 15:51, Mr Thant
wrote:
On Oct 3, 8:19 am, Offramp wrote:

I can foresee that in 2011 (like the JLE in 1998/9)

But the JLE was scheduled to open in 1998/9 (if not earlier) when they
started, wasn't it?

the papers will
start to say, 'Why isn't this thing ready? It's meant to be ready for
the 2012 Olympics!?'
Then the Gov will throw squillions of pounds at it and it'll open in
May 2012.

Not a chance. The bill isn't going to get passed until some time next
year. Add some time to finalise designs, award contracts and acquire
land, and it'll be 2010 before any serious work starts. Given the
order of magnitude simpler DLR Woolwich tunnel is taking 3 years from
TBM launching to opening, I don't know what useful part of Crossrail
could be built in two.

Quite. Zero chance of that happening whatsoever.

Did anyone in government ever actually suggest that Crossrail might be
ready for the Olympics? I can't think of anything, but it's a notion
that appears to have farily widespread currency so I kind of feel it
must have come from somewhere (an off the cuff comment from an ill-
informed minister for example).

But of course rumours such as this do come out of nowhere, courtesy of
repetition by the likes of journalists and councillors (and internet
forum contributors!) for example.

Old October 5th 07, 03:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 4 Oct 2007, thoss wrote:

At 19:10:35 on Thu, 4 Oct 2007 Tom Anderson opined:-

Indeed. I seem to remember that, when London was awarded the Olympics,
it was stated that Crossrail was planned to open in 2013.

Funny. I seem to remember that when London got the Olympics, is was made
very clear that Crossrail wouldn't be ready by then - although it was
claimed that Thameslink would be.

That's what I said.

DOH! I looked at your words and saw what i thought you were saying, not
what you said. My apologies.

tom

--
Gin makes a man mean; let's booze up and riot!