Old December 18th 07, 12:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow on Boxing Day?

With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going to have
to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day. Are they
still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping there that day as
usual?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 18th 07, 08:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going to have
to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day. Are they
still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping there that day as
usual?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Of course.

I can remember when Christmas and Boxing days were dead - only Air India, El
Al and the like. These days they mau not be wholly normal days but there
is a lot of traffic about.

And, of course, these days, the "baddies" never sleep.

Old December 18th 07, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going to have
to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day.

National Express from Cambridge to Heathrow operates a large number of
coach services on Boxing Day, according to their website.

Are they still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping there
that day as usual?

Almost certainly: Boxing Day has become very busy at Heathrow in recent
years and with very limited public transport (apart from coach services)
car parks will be full and taxi drivers will be smiling.

--
Paul Terry
Old December 18th 07, 01:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 01:43, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going to have
to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day. Are they
still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping there that day as
usual?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

As Paul Terry has already pointed out there are plenty of National
Express coaches from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day, the journey
time being between 2hr25 and 2hr40 - the 'standard single' fare is
£32.

Of course there are also NatEx coaches from Victoria Coach station -
they go direct and are scheduled to take between 40 and 45 minutes -
the 'standard single' fare is £5.

Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect won't operate because of
engineering works. HEx will be replaced by a direct coach service to/
from Heathrow, taking 40-60 minutes. An unspecified reduced rate fare
will be payable. More infor he
http://preview.tinyurl.com/2fxepl

London Underground and London Buses will be operating, LU with reduced
frequencies, the bus network with a sunday service. There will not be
any Victoria line service on boxing day due to upgrade works, nor any
Metropolitan line service due to signalling works. Other details of
closed stations are in the TfL Festive travel guide (PDF):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/Festive_leaflet_2007.pdf

So, I dispute your notion that there is no public transport on boxing
day! Apart from the direct coach, you could drive her down into London
and drop her off at a Tube station for onward travel via the
Piccadilly line to Heathrow (max fare £4 with a paper ticket, less
with Oyster PAYG). The easiest Tube station to get to from the M11 is
Redbridge (Central line), just off the North Circular. However I think
there'd be a more frequent service from Leytonstone - get off the
North Circular at Redbridge roundabout then take the A12 west, exit at
the Green Man roundabout then a very short distance to Leytonstone
Tube station (change at Holborn for the Piccadilly line, journey time
to Heathrow 1hr20-ish).
Old December 18th 07, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 14:19, Mizter T wrote:
So, I dispute your notion that there is no public transport on boxing
day!

Apart from coaches there isn't, from Cambridge anyway. If he has to
drive to London then why not spend the extra time going round the
m25.

Apart from the direct coach, you could drive her down into London
and drop her off at a Tube station for onward travel via the
Piccadilly line to Heathrow (max fare £4 with a paper ticket, less
with Oyster PAYG). The easiest Tube station to get to from the M11 is
Redbridge (Central line), just off the North Circular.

Epping is about 5 minutes from junction (7?), and allows you to get
off before you hit the m25

Debden is right next to the M11, but sadly you can only get on/off
going south.

Old December 18th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 15:58, Paul Weaver wrote:
On 18 Dec, 14:19, Mizter T wrote:

So, I dispute your notion that there is no public transport on boxing
day!

Apart from coaches there isn't, from Cambridge anyway. If he has to
drive to London then why not spend the extra time going round the
m25.

Coaches are a form of public transport - the first like of the OP's
post said there was "no public transport". There are however no trains
between Cambridge and London (and presumably no trains from Cambridge
at all). There are a few other National Rail services operating on
Boxing Day.

Re spending the extra time round the M25 - perhaps the OP would prefer
to spend that time back at home playing with his Christmas presents
instead of enjoying the delights of the London Orbital motorway ;-)

Apart from the direct coach, you could drive her down into London
and drop her off at a Tube station for onward travel via the
Piccadilly line to Heathrow (max fare £4 with a paper ticket, less
with Oyster PAYG). The easiest Tube station to get to from the M11 is
Redbridge (Central line), just off the North Circular.

Epping is about 5 minutes from junction (7?), and allows you to get
off before you hit the m25

Debden is right next to the M11, but sadly you can only get on/off
going south.

V good point about Epping.

Looking on the TfL JourneyPlanner for journeys around lunchtime on
Boxing Day, it states that Epping has departures every 15 minutes
whilst Leytonestone has double that frequency (i.e. every 7 1/2
minutes). Going from Epping instead of Leytonstone only adds 20
minutes to the journey.

So if one was coming down the M11 to drop someone off at a Central
line station, Epping looks like the one to go for.

Old December 18th 07, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Terry
writes
In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going to have
to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day.

National Express from Cambridge to Heathrow operates a large number of
coach services on Boxing Day, according to their website.

Are they still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping there
that day as usual?

Almost certainly: Boxing Day has become very busy at Heathrow in recent
years and with very limited public transport (apart from coach
services) car parks will be full and taxi drivers will be smiling.

You mean like this :-))))

I'll be at Heathrow (late) on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day and Boxing
Day.

shameless advert mode on

If anyone from Worthing, Brighton or nearby areas wants to get there (or
Gatwick) in the evening or come back in the early hours of the morning
then contact me.

advert mode off

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England
Old December 18th 07, 04:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 18 Dec, 16:54, Mike Hughes wrote:
In message , Paul Terry
writes

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

[...]

Shameless but faultlessly relevant!
Old December 18th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

On 18 Dec, 01:43, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
With no public transport and because I'm a kind father I'm going
to have to drive my daughter from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing
Day. Are they still going to try and rip me off rotten for stopping
there that day as usual?

As Paul Terry has already pointed out there are plenty of National
Express coaches from Cambridge to Heathrow on Boxing Day, the
journey time being between 2hr25 and 2hr40 - the 'standard single'
fare is £32.

[snip]

So, I dispute your notion that there is no public transport on boxing
day! Apart from the direct coach, you could drive her down into London
and drop her off at a Tube station for onward travel via the
Piccadilly line to Heathrow (max fare £4 with a paper ticket, less
with Oyster PAYG). The easiest Tube station to get to from the M11 is
Redbridge (Central line), just off the North Circular. However I think
there'd be a more frequent service from Leytonstone - get off the
North Circular at Redbridge roundabout then take the A12 west, exit at
the Green Man roundabout then a very short distance to Leytonstone
Tube station (change at Holborn for the Piccadilly line, journey time
to Heathrow 1hr20-ish).

Ah! I hadn't realised that TfL had broken away from the national no
trains rule on Boxing Day.

What would be the nearest Piccadilly Line station to Heathrow at which I
might reasonably park?

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 18th 07, 06:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:
In article
,
(Mizter T) wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure that LU ever subscribed to that rule, certainly not for
several years.

What would be the nearest Piccadilly Line station to Heathrow at
which I might reasonably park?

Hounslow West has a large car park.
--
Richard J.