Old December 20th 07, 12:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster at Euston Platform 7

Does anyone know if there is an oyster reader hidden somewhere at
platform 7 or on the main concourse at Euston?

Yesterday I was on a later train than usual (08:20 something I think)
and it arrived at platform 7.

But I couldn't see an oyster reader anywhere. In the end I had to go
down to the 8-11 platforms and "touch out" on the gate there. To add
insult to injury, that detour (which wasn't that easy to do as I was
going against the flow when I was going down to the gateline) cost me
an extra 50p. It was so tempting just not to bother.

Although I wasn't continuing on to the underground, had I just touched
in on the underground without touching out from the overground would
that still have counted as a continuation of my journey?

Interestingly, I've now had my oyster card "inspected" twice on London
Midland. The inspection consisted of me holding up my oystercard
wallet and saying "oystercard". The guard didn't even want to see if
there was an oystercard in my wallet, let alone have any equipment to
read it.

It seems like there's a lot of scope for fare evasion on the London
Midland line into Euston, especially for people travelling from
ungated stations north of Watford. If there is a ticket inspection
before Watford then you just buy a ticket. If it's after Watford then
you wave your oyster card. You can then use the oyster card to get out
of the gates at Euston for a 5GBP unresolved journey or if you're on
one of the trains that doesn't arrive at platforms 8 to 11, not pay
anything at all.

I wonder if from the new year, the unresolved journey fare will go up
to 6GBP for this line - the same as Watford Junction to Z1 price.

Tim.

Old December 20th 07, 01:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 13:30, " wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an oyster reader hidden somewhere at
platform 7 or on the main concourse at Euston?

Yesterday I was on a later train than usual (08:20 something I think)
and it arrived at platform 7.

The only stand alone validator is on platform 17.

But I couldn't see an oyster reader anywhere. In the end I had to go
down to the 8-11 platforms and "touch out" on the gate there. To add
insult to injury, that detour (which wasn't that easy to do as I was
going against the flow when I was going down to the gateline) cost me
an extra 50p. It was so tempting just not to bother.

Although I wasn't continuing on to the underground, had I just touched
in on the underground without touching out from the overground would
that still have counted as a continuation of my journey?

Two "touch ins" without an intermediate "touch out" would result in
the first journey being unresolved.
Using the manual gate validator at Euston Underground would be ok as
it would just continue the journey.

Euston platforms 1-8 & 13-16 , Wembley Central platforms 3-6, West
Ruislip car park exit, and St Pancras International High Level (when
diverted to) are the places that I know of where it is impossible to
validate correctly.

Old December 20th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 20 Dec, 14:47, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
On 20 Dec, 13:30, " wrote:

[...]

This is not obvious though, since it's a kind of "outerchange". When
I once did a PAYG outerchange at Heron Quays/Canary Wharf, I thought
that touching in at the distant DLR where the journey started and then
touching in at Canary Wharf Jubilee would be accepted as an obvious
continuation, but in fact I couldn't get into the Jubilee having not
touched out of the DLR (requiring a detour to the ludicrously-placed
reader at Heron Quays). It resulted in a major screw-up, because
having refused me at the Jubilee gate, it then wouldn't let me touch
out at Heron Quays even when I went back.
Old December 20th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Euston platforms 1-8 & 13-16 , Wembley Central platforms 3-6, West

I mean 12-15 of course...

Old December 20th 07, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

Although I wasn't continuing on to the underground, had I just touched
in on the underground without touching out from the overground would
that still have counted as a continuation of my journey?

Unresolved journey. Anyone know how many of these you can have until your
card is deactivated?

Interestingly, I've now had my oyster card "inspected" twice on London
Midland. The inspection consisted of me holding up my oystercard
wallet and saying "oystercard". The guard didn't even want to see if
there was an oystercard in my wallet, let alone have any equipment to
read it.

Don't rely on that routine, Southern were reading Oysters from WJ on the
first day they were usable

It seems like there's a lot of scope for fare evasion on the London
Midland line into Euston, especially for people travelling from
ungated stations north of Watford. If there is a ticket inspection
before Watford then you just buy a ticket.

Or 'just' pay a penalty fare?

Paul S

Old December 20th 07, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 20, 4:22 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
wrote in message

Unresolved journey. Anyone know how many of these you can have until your
card is deactivated?

I have seen cards with scores of unresolved journeys still active.
Old December 20th 07, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Dec 20, 7:32 pm, Offramp wrote:
On Dec 20, 4:22 pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:

wrote in message
Unresolved journey. Anyone know how many of these you can have until your
card is deactivated?

I have seen cards with scores of unresolved journeys still active.

Surely they make money by letting people pump money into the black
hole of unresolved journeys, so why would they want to stop such a
lucrative revenue stream by deactivating the card?
Old December 20th 07, 11:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 20, 1:30 pm, "
wrote:
Does anyone know if there is an oyster reader hidden somewhere at
platform 7 or on the main concourse at Euston?

Yesterday I was on a later train than usual (08:20 something I think)
and it arrived at platform 7.

But I couldn't see an oyster reader anywhere. In the end I had to go
down to the 8-11 platforms and "touch out" on the gate there. To add
insult to injury, that detour (which wasn't that easy to do as I was
going against the flow when I was going down to the gateline) cost me
an extra 50p. It was so tempting just not to bother.

I've e-mailed London Midland asking them about this and had no
response back so far. It is especially a problem at weekends when all
trains have used Platform 7 on a Sunday for the last two weeks due to
work on the slow lines. I too can find no reader for platforms 7 and
12 (the two most commonly used ones).

Interestingly, I've now had my oyster card "inspected" twice on London
Midland. The inspection consisted of me holding up my oystercard
wallet and saying "oystercard". The guard didn't even want to see if
there was an oystercard in my wallet, let alone have any equipment to
read it.

I have had my Oyster checked with a reader once last week on London
Midand and so they do now have at least one handheld validator!!