Old January 30th 09, 07:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Rapid Exit from Heathrow Suggestions please

[original thread at uk.railway]
[x-posted to uk.transport.london]

On 30 Jan, 20:32, John Chapman wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On 30 Jan, 20:00, John Chapman wrote:

Next Wednesday morning my daughter is flying back to the UK to
attend a funeral.
Her flight from Thailand is due to land at Heathrow at 0600 hrs.
She needs to get to Cobham & Stoke D'abernon station as near to 0900 as
possible.
Cobham is served by trains from Waterloo.
I am searching for the fastest route at that time in the morning.
My experience suggests Heathrow Express to Paddington then tube to Waterloo
then train to Cobham.
She will be cutting it rather fine

Does anyone have please a better suggestion for that journey
*at that time of the morning ?

All suggestions gratefully received with thanks in advance.

That's a really round the houses route. I'd suggest cutting out
central London altogether, and I'd be tempted to just get a cab
straight there from Heathrow - it's a very direct route via the M25,
and she would hopefully avoid the worst of the traffic. A pre-booked
minicab would be cheapest.

I know that the M25 route is pretty fast to Cobham but at that time of day
is it not blocked with traffic ?

It is the busiest stretch I think, though the stretch between the M4
and M3 has been widened. Even if traffic was making slow progress I
still suspect this would be the quickest route- the M25 doesn't
actually get gridlocked per-se. The other possibility is some kind of
nifty route that cuts across the south western fringes of London, but
I don't think there is one really.

I've crossposted this to uk.transport.london in the hope it might get
some answers from some wise heads there.

Old January 30th 09, 07:59 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

Badly phrased me thinks - " the M25 doesn't actually get gridlocked
per-se" should instead read something like "the M25 doesn't normally
grind to a complete halt, it still flows albeit slowly".
Old January 30th 09, 08:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:54:42 on Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:
The other possibility is some kind of nifty route that cuts across the
south western fringes of London, but I don't think there is one really.

Having lived round there for a couple of years, the only possible
alternate car route is via Hampton Court. It's probably less risky to
use the M25, especially if starting from T5.

There's no public transport short-cut, everything else is radial
(including the bus to Woking). That's why the M25 is so successful - it
has a monopoly!
Old January 31st 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

In my experience the M25 congestion is mainly towards Heathrow in the
mornings and away from Heathrow in the evenings. So starting from Heathrow
in the morning peak should be OK.
--
Richard J.

Old February 5th 09, 12:12 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 30 Jan, 21:07, Roland Perry wrote:
In message
, at
12:54:42 on Fri, 30 Jan 2009, Mizter T remarked:

[Heathrow - Cobham]
The other possibility is some kind of nifty route that cuts across the
south western fringes of London, but I don't think there is one really.

Having lived round there for a couple of years, the only possible
alternate car route is via Hampton Court. It's probably less risky to
use the M25, especially if starting from T5.

For Cobham I'd have thought it better to stick further west, through
Chertsey or Walton. But that does mean crossing the
Crooked Billet...

There's no public transport short-cut, everything else is radial
(including the bus to Woking).

The only orbital routes are the 724 (what happens to that when they
start on the 3rd runway?) and the X26. Are there any equivalent
routes on the eastern side of London?

Anyway, I know it's too late now but the OP's journey could almost
be done by the X26 to Kingston, then 515 to Cobham though I think
that might be the wrong end of Cobham.

Or there's the 555 from Heathrow (inc. T4 but not 5) to Walton
station and train from there.

Hth

Henry