Old April 7th 09, 03:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default London: Oyster Card & British Rail

On Apr 7, 3:27*am, Ben Birkner wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the information received through the TfL
website: On the one side they state that the 7-Day Oyster Card can be
used on British Rail, provided you'll keep within the zones you've
paid for. "My" station would be Lewisham, zone 2, so this station
should be covered by my Travelcard which covers zone 1-2.

Britich who!? There has not been a "British Rail" for more than a
decade.

On the other side, their map of the railway stations covered by Oyster
Card excludes this station. After checking various websites on this
subject, my assumption is that Lewisham station is included in my
Oyster Travelcard, but I can't use the card for any pay-as-you-go
movements on Southeastern, e.g. to Blackheath.

Am I right? Thanks for any background information.

Ben

Abi's answer is good.

Old April 7th 09, 03:37 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Thanx for all your input which I appreciate and defenitely helps.

@Adrian
Sorry on the wrong term. I'm a bloody foreigner and grown up from (at
least) school times and for decades with "British Rail". Hard to
avoid, but I'll improve. Promised!
Old April 7th 09, 04:06 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 7, 4:37*pm, Ben Birkner wrote:

Thanx for all your input which I appreciate and defenitely helps.

@Adrian
Sorry on the wrong term. I'm a bloody foreigner and grown up from (at
least) school times and for decades with "British Rail". Hard to
avoid, but I'll improve. Promised!

I've no problem with it - 'twas a bit of a blast from the past!

For what it's worth, there are still quite a few signs around the
London Underground network that refer to "British Rail".
Old April 7th 09, 09:47 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Apr 7, 1:57*pm, Charles Ellson wrote:
On Tue, 7 Apr 2009 08:09:34 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Apr 7, 3:27 am, Ben Birkner wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the information received through the TfL
website: On the one side they state that the 7-Day Oyster Card can be
used on British Rail, provided you'll keep within the zones you've
paid for. "My" station would be Lewisham, zone 2, so this station
should be covered by my Travelcard which covers zone 1-2.

Britich who!? *There has not been a "British Rail" for more than a
decade.

The body who used that trading title was not abolished until after the
passing of the Transport Act 2000, so a bit under a decade.

Point taken, although the OP was discussing rail travel. I don't
there have been BR trains for over a decade. IIRC the residual body
dealt with non rail property issues, etc.

Old April 7th 09, 10:30 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:

On Apr 7, 3:27 am, Ben Birkner wrote:
I'm a bit confused on the information received through the TfL
website: On the one side they state that the 7-Day Oyster Card can be
used on British Rail, provided you'll keep within the zones you've
paid for. "My" station would be Lewisham, zone 2, so this station
should be covered by my Travelcard which covers zone 1-2.

Britich who!? *There has not been a "British Rail" for more than a
decade.

The body who used that trading title was not abolished until after the
passing of the Transport Act 2000, so a bit under a decade.

Point taken, although the OP was discussing rail travel. I don't
there have been BR trains for over a decade. IIRC the residual body
dealt with non rail property issues, etc.

The residuary body still exists :-
http://www.brb.gov.uk/

It was the parent British Railways Board which was abolished by the TA
2000. Unfortunately the description on their main page fails to
recognise that "British Rail" was not an entity but a trading name (a
trading name being something that can describe not just a single
organisation but also more than one or a division of one organisation
or the activities operated by them). As a trading title it has not
itself been abolished (as it is a name not a legal person) and
presumably is freely available for use by the Secretary of State if
the rights haven't been assigned elsewhere.
Old April 12th 09, 05:01 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

wrote:
dealt with non rail property issues, etc.

The residuary body still exists :-http://www.brb.gov.uk/

And AIUI does still deal with rail proporty issues ... they took over
North Pole depot. I recall this as I went to Vauxhall to view the last
Eurostars in and out of Waterloo, and there too was an long time
friend who works for BRB residual and who was in effect taking over as
landlord of North Pole during the following day or two once the
engineers cleared their final gear out. I don't know what the current
status of North Pole is though.

--
Nick