Old November 16th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
E27002 E27002 is offline

Default BBC - Soho shops make way for Crossrail

On Nov 15, 3:21*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 15 Nov, 01:09, " wrote:

The buildings in part of Oxford Street and Dean Street will be
demolished to enable the station to be extended.

I don't often go to Oxford now, but I remember when using the Oxford
Tube is passed a large area of vacent land, somewhere in West London.
The houses which had stood on this land demolished to make way for a
road widening scheme, which had been cancelled. *With the cutbacks
which are coming, whoever wins the next election, the cancellation of
Crossrail must be considered at least a possibility; i.e. cancelling
it is still cheaper than completing it, so I wonder if we will see the
same situation here.

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. London needs Crossrail.