Old November 16th 09, 04:31 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default BBC - Soho shops make way for Crossrail

On Nov 15, 3:21*pm, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 15 Nov, 01:09, " wrote:

The buildings in part of Oxford Street and Dean Street will be
demolished to enable the station to be extended.

I don't often go to Oxford now, but I remember when using the Oxford
Tube is passed a large area of vacent land, somewhere in West London.
The houses which had stood on this land demolished to make way for a
road widening scheme, which had been cancelled. *With the cutbacks
which are coming, whoever wins the next election, the cancellation of
Crossrail must be considered at least a possibility; i.e. cancelling
it is still cheaper than completing it, so I wonder if we will see the
same situation here.

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. London needs Crossrail.

Old November 16th 09, 04:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. *However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. *London needs Crossrail.

I’m one of those gloomy b******s that believes the recession still has
to get a lot worse before it can get any better, particularly in the
public sector which is still in phoney recession mode.

The key thing after the election comes the reality check and whether
rail traffic growth needs to be revised down as a result, particularly
commuting.

If so then it will start to get difficult to justify Crossrail.

Old November 16th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
allanbonnetracy wrote:

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. =A0However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. =A0London needs Crossrail.

I=92m one of those gloomy b******s that believes the recession still has
to get a lot worse before it can get any better,

Well if Osbourne gets to be Chancellor the recession will definitely get a
lot worse.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail
Old November 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
,
allanbonnetracy writes

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. Â*However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. Â*London needs Crossrail.

I’m one of those gloomy b******s that believes the recession still has
to get a lot worse before it can get any better, particularly in the
public sector which is still in phoney recession mode.

The key thing after the election comes the reality check and whether
rail traffic growth needs to be revised down as a result, particularly
commuting.

If so then it will start to get difficult to justify Crossrail.

The problem is in my view is that we're not looking far enough ahead.

CR won't be complete for, say 6 or 8 (or even 10 ) years. By that time
I would like to think we'll be out of recession and into a boom again.
Problem is that there will be then a demand for more capacity on the
railways; but that won't happen for 5-10 years. So by doing this now,
we're able to provide for the boom in a few years.
Old November 16th 09, 07:54 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Steve Fitzgerald wrote:

CR won't be complete for, say 6 or 8 (or even 10 ) years. By that
time I would like to think we'll be out of recession and into a boom
again. Problem is that there will be then a demand for more capacity
on the railways; but that won't happen for 5-10 years. So by doing
this now, we're able to provide for the boom in a few years.

Employing so many people to build it will help to end the recession, which
of course started with the collapse of the construction industry.

--
We are the Strasbourg. Referendum is futile.

Old November 16th 09, 08:46 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Nov 16, 9:45*am, allanbonnetracy
wrote:
As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. *However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. *London needs Crossrail.

I’m one of those gloomy b******s that believes the recession still has
to get a lot worse before it can get any better, particularly in the
public sector which is still in phoney recession mode.

The key thing after the election comes the reality check and whether
rail traffic growth needs to be revised down as a result, particularly
commuting.

If so then it will start to get difficult to justify Crossrail.

In the short term I am very pessimistic. Not only do the UK Labour,
and, US Democratic, parties have no clue about the depth of our
problems, but there is no effective alternative. The respective
Conservative and Republican parties are such in name only.

Only Australia, Israel, Poland, and possibly France (and then, only
because of pres. Sarkozy) offer a glimmer of hope.

However, and back on topic, London's transportation infrastructure is
severely overburdened. If she wants to remain Europe’s financial and
investment center, upgrades are essential.