Old November 16th 09, 07:19 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default BBC - Soho shops make way for Crossrail

In message
,
allanbonnetracy writes

As a rule, I oppose government spending money the taxpayer can ill
afford. Â*However, in this case I sincerely hope the Crossrail project
is not cancelled. Â*London needs Crossrail.

I’m one of those gloomy b******s that believes the recession still has
to get a lot worse before it can get any better, particularly in the
public sector which is still in phoney recession mode.

The key thing after the election comes the reality check and whether
rail traffic growth needs to be revised down as a result, particularly
commuting.

If so then it will start to get difficult to justify Crossrail.

The problem is in my view is that we're not looking far enough ahead.

CR won't be complete for, say 6 or 8 (or even 10 ) years. By that time
I would like to think we'll be out of recession and into a boom again.
Problem is that there will be then a demand for more capacity on the
railways; but that won't happen for 5-10 years. So by doing this now,
we're able to provide for the boom in a few years.