Old December 6th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default TfL fare information for 2010

On 6 Dec, 10:35, "neverwas" wrote:
I can see that the grippers wouldn't necessarily know I was not getting
off *in* Zone 1 and touching out there. *On the other hand they could if
were gripped while transiting from zone 1 to zone 2.

One of the tenets of PAYG is that you can take any route you like as
long as you touch in and out at either end, and TfL takes
responsibility for choosing the correct fare. If the system guesses
wrongly about which route you took, it's their problem, not yours.
Even using a pink validator doesn't bar you from zone 1 - the route is
defined as "A to B via pink validator C", not "A to B avoiding zone
1".

The only time a gripper might ask questions is if you're caught on a
train travelling towards the location you supposedly touched in at.