Old December 4th 09, 03:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default TfL fare information for 2010

As well as the travel information for the festive period[1], TfL have
snuck onto their website a bit more information about the fares from
2nd January.

Of likely interest:
Single fare finder:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...refinder/next/

NR Railcard one day caps:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ares/6769.aspx

NR Railcard discounted one day Travelcards:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresa...ets/11696.aspx

The main page for the 2010 fares is at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/2930.aspx
As yet, there doesn't appear to be a PDF of the leaflet.

- martin

[1] http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/13658.aspx

Old December 5th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Thanks for the updated info. There has been some continuity introduced
in the prices, for example the z1-6 discounted cap on Oyster PAYG used
to be £4.60, whereas the cash price of the discounted z1-6 paper
ticket OD Travelcard was £5.00. Both fares are now the same. £3.35 for
z2-6 cap ( including all the NR Lines within the zones) is a damn good
value in anyone's book !
Old December 5th 09, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Dec 5, 11:23*am, Uncle-C wrote:
Thanks for the updated info. There has been some continuity introduced
in the prices, for example the z1-6 discounted cap on Oyster PAYG used
to be £4.60, whereas the cash price of the discounted z1-6 paper
ticket OD Travelcard was £5.00. Both fares are now the same. £3.35 for
z2-6 cap ( including all the NR Lines within the zones) is a damn good
value in anyone's book !

Herne Hill to Watford Junction - why is the main fare shown the one to
avoid zone 1? How are you meant to manage to do that?

Here's another anomaly (albeit not on the main fare shown) and good
value.

East Croydon to Amersham (avoiding zone 1) is £2.20 off peak!

Clapham Junction to Amersham (avoiding zone 1) is £2.30 off peak

East Croydon to Clapham Junction is £2.00 off peak.
Old December 5th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Single fare finder:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/fa...refinder/next/

Many thanks for the links.

May I ask a numpty question about line closures and travel through Zone
1?

With the closure of the North London Line (NLL) in prospect I checked
the farefinder for (to take one example) Homerton to Kew Gardens. It
gave me an Oyster fare of £1.30 at any time. Fair (sic) enough.

But when I clicked through to "Plan this journey" for 2 January it
naturally routed me through Zone 1. And the same was true for the
period from 20 February when (IIRC) the NLL blockade starts.

Is the lower fare correct? Even if I am gripped (if that is the right
term) within Zone 1?

If not, should the farefinder have a health warning on the lines of "The
fares above assume you don't travel through Zone 1 unless you need to do
so. You [may][will] be charged more if you do in fact travel through
Zone 1 - even if you do so as a result of engineering works or other
events outside your control."

Old December 5th 09, 05:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 5 Dec, 13:35, Jonathan Harris wrote:
On Dec 5, 11:23*am, Uncle-C wrote:

Thanks for the updated info. There has been some continuity introduced
in the prices, for example the z1-6 discounted cap on Oyster PAYG used
to be £4.60, whereas the cash price of the discounted z1-6 paper
ticket OD Travelcard was £5.00. Both fares are now the same. £3.35 for
z2-6 cap ( including all the NR Lines within the zones) is a damn good
value in anyone's book !

Herne Hill to Watford Junction - why is the main fare shown the one to
avoid zone 1? *How are you meant to manage to do that?

Here's another anomaly (albeit not on the main fare shown) and good
value.

East Croydon to Amersham (avoiding zone 1) is £2.20 off peak!

Clapham Junction to Amersham (avoiding zone 1) is £2.30 off peak

East Croydon to Clapham Junction is £2.00 off peak.

It seems to assume that the default route (without any OSIs) is via
Clapham Junction.
However, if your OSI is on the Thameslink route, you avoid the premium
for zone 1 tube + train fares.
Otherwise, using a Zone 1 NR-Tube OSI charges you the premium.

The section on OEPs seems to suggest that they only last for the first
journey after loading, even if you touch out within your travelcard
zones.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oyster...aspx#section-5

Old December 5th 09, 05:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Uncle-C wrote

Thanks for the updated info. There has been some continuity introduced
in the prices, for example the z1-6 discounted cap on Oyster PAYG used
to be £4.60, whereas the cash price of the discounted z1-6 paper
ticket OD Travelcard was £5.00. Both fares are now the same. £3.35 for
z2-6 cap ( including all the NR Lines within the zones) is a damn good
value in anyone's book !

And so is £5.00 for z1-6

But getting out at Vauxhall and then being able to take buses all day
for £3.35 will indeed be good value for, eg, Scots and Welsh Senior
Railcard holders.

--
Mike D

Old December 5th 09, 06:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Matthew Dickinson) wrote:

The section on OEPs seems to suggest that they only last for the first
journey after loading, even if you touch out within your travelcard
zones.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/oyster...aspx#section-5

Still no attempt to justify why this imposition is required, I see.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 6th 09, 12:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 05 Dec 2009 17:05:59 GMT, neverwas wrote:

[...]

Currently, if you touch in at Homerton and out at Kew Gardens without
any touches in between, it (presumably) charges you the Z2-3 fare.
This must apply even if you change to the Vic at Hi&I and go via Z1
(as the system has no way of knowing that you took that route because
there are no OSIs along the way).

It'd be a bit harsh if they changed this during the closure.

Whether you get gripped along the way is irrelevant.
Old December 6th 09, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Currently, if you touch in at Homerton and out at Kew Gardens without
any touches in between, it (presumably) charges you the Z2-3 fare.
This must apply even if you change to the Vic at Hi&I and go via Z1
(as the system has no way of knowing that you took that route because
there are no OSIs along the way).

It'd be a bit harsh if they changed this during the closure.

Yes thanks - but I can equally well see that they may just work on the
basis that it's my choice whether to take the tube or several buses

Whether you get gripped along the way is irrelevant.

I can see that the grippers wouldn't necessarily know I was not getting
off *in* Zone 1 and touching out there. On the other hand they could if
were gripped while transiting from zone 1 to zone 2. And I am reminded
that the Oyster Travelcards certainly don't get such a break. TfL have
made explicit that there is no concessionary travel via Zone 1 for them
during NLL closures. See eg
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/livetra...osures-FAQ.pdf

Confused? Moi?

Old December 6th 09, 10:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 6 Dec, 10:35, "neverwas" wrote:
I can see that the grippers wouldn't necessarily know I was not getting
off *in* Zone 1 and touching out there. *On the other hand they could if
were gripped while transiting from zone 1 to zone 2.

One of the tenets of PAYG is that you can take any route you like as
long as you touch in and out at either end, and TfL takes
responsibility for choosing the correct fare. If the system guesses
wrongly about which route you took, it's their problem, not yours.
Even using a pink validator doesn't bar you from zone 1 - the route is
defined as "A to B via pink validator C", not "A to B avoiding zone
1".

The only time a gripper might ask questions is if you're caught on a
train travelling towards the location you supposedly touched in at.