Old January 22nd 10, 08:42 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default ELL Stock in Place

"MIG" wrote in message
On 21 Jan, 23:17, "Paul Scott" wrote:

That will need platform extensions nearly everywhere. I wonder if it
will really happen?

Network Rail have just announced that they have started:

"London Bridge to West Croydon via Norwood Junction
Increasing to 10-car trains during the peak from December 2011"

from
http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...Cate goryID=8

I'd have thought the eventual capacity increase from 8 to 10 car is the
key.
6 x 10 car trains in the peak hour must be almost as much capacity into
LB
as now?

It would certainly help if it's possible, but they only have to run
out of money and leave some short platforms somewhere (remember "Kent
Link"?) and there may be no choice but to run shorter trains.

The South London RUS also covers the subject in detail, needless to say.
AFAICS the idea that the ELL will cause a major reduction in services
into
LB seems something of an exaggeration.

It's meant to seem that way. With all the partial and oddly-worded
information I think I have to wait and see.

This is how the RUS summary reads for the area in question, (section 6.3)
though obviously it's a couple of years old now:

"On the Sydenham line, Brockley, Honor
Oak Park, Penge West and Anerley all see
an INCREASE in the number of morning peak
trains to London Bridge. Sydenham and
Forest Hill will see a marginal reduction from
7tph at present to 6tph in the high peak hour,
but NO CHANGE from the existing 18tph trains
across the entire three-hour peak. However,
the RUS considers that, even if this change
were to be carried out in isolation (as
opposed to at the time of ELL opening),
the service pattern will provide sufficient
capacity, since no trains serving this route
will originate from further away than the
Croydon area (as opposed to locations such
as Epsom or Caterham today)."

[My caps]

"A 2tph service will operate from the
Sydenham line to Victoria via Crystal
Palace. This is a significant improvement in
the morning peak, developed in response
to stakeholder feedback, since this service
currently only commences after the
morning peak has finished."

"A 4tph peak fast service is provided from
Norwood Junction to London Bridge,
at improved intervals. This will provide
capacity for some of the passengers who
would otherwise use the all-stations trains."

I think these latter are the trains that have to shift to the fast lines,
but they should presumably be preferred by pax form West Croydon or Norwood
Jn once they are sussed out, as they'll run non stop.

Looking at all the evidence so far, the 'battering' of the service only
seems to be off peak. Assuming a reduction of 5 to 4 tph meets the
definition...

Paul S