Old February 2nd 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
E27002 E27002 is offline

Default Torygraph - Crossrail's Terry Morgan in optimistic mood

On Feb 2, 12:16*pm, Goalie of the Century wrote:
In message
,
E27002 writes

I believe cancelling CrossRail would be a mistake.

So, it appears, do the Tories - at least until the election...

http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_stories/2010/02/~/media/Files/...

includes

We will create a stable and transparent framework to encourage private
sector investment in infrastructure. We support Crossrail. We will begin
work on Britain's first ever North-South high speed rail line to connect
London and Heathrow with Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, increasing
capacity and reducing travel times. Our aspiration is to go further in
years to come, to a line that stretches north to Newcastle and Scotland
and to a network connecting many of the UK's major cities in a national
high-speed network. We will also reform the way our existing railways
are run, with longer franchises to encourage private sector investment
in much needed improvements.

It all sounds very rosy! :-) I am reminded of the time a US
constituent tried to sue a politician for breaking an election
promise. The judge dismissed the case - an election promise is not a
real promise. That said the UK Conservative part is the least bad by
a good margin.