Old February 1st 10, 12:37 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Torygraph - Crossrail's Terry Morgan in optimistic mood

On Jan 31, 2:42*pm, allantracy wrote:
Crossrail, GW electrification and IEP aren’t going to happen.

The only thing that’s keeping all those projects alive is an impending
election.

If the public finances are as bad as the government is admitting then
there’s simply no money to pay for them (and please don’t mention off
balance sheet that’s bound to have been one highly dubious practice
too many, flogged to death already).

Also, considering the unprecedented way the government cancelled this
year’s public spending review, until after the election, the public
finances are almost certainly a lot worse than they’re letting on.

It’s already been leaked that forty thousand nurses posts are going,
starting as early as next year, now that’s usually the cut of last
resort so what chances those of first?

Then add into to this joyless concoction that all of Darling’s
spending plans for next year have been based on growth that’s failing
to materialise and that our existing debt is no longer attracting a
triple A credit rating interest rate and it doesn’t portend well for
things like railway spending.

Notwithstanding the foregoing, which is accurate, I believe cancelling
CrossRail would be a mistake. London needs new transportation
infrastructure.

Old February 2nd 10, 07:16 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message
,
E27002 writes

I believe cancelling CrossRail would be a mistake.

So, it appears, do the Tories - at least until the election...

http://www.conservatives.com/News/News_stories/2010/02/~/media/Files/Downloadable%20Files/new-economic-model.ashx

includes

We will create a stable and transparent framework to encourage private
sector investment in infrastructure. We support Crossrail. We will begin
work on Britain's first ever North-South high speed rail line to connect
London and Heathrow with Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds, increasing
capacity and reducing travel times. Our aspiration is to go further in
years to come, to a line that stretches north to Newcastle and Scotland
and to a network connecting many of the UK's major cities in a national
high-speed network. We will also reform the way our existing railways
are run, with longer franchises to encourage private sector investment
in much needed improvements.

--
Goalie of the Century
Old February 2nd 10, 07:45 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Feb 2, 12:16*pm, Goalie of the Century wrote:
In message
,
E27002 writes

[...]

It all sounds very rosy! :-) I am reminded of the time a US
constituent tried to sue a politician for breaking an election
promise. The judge dismissed the case - an election promise is not a
real promise. That said the UK Conservative part is the least bad by
a good margin.

Old February 3rd 10, 02:09 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Goalie of the Century wrote:
In message
,
E27002 writes

[...]

Can the leopard change its spots?

--
As through this world I've rambled, I've met plenty of funny men,
Some rob you with a sixgun, some with a fountain pen.

Woody Guthrie