Old January 10th 04, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default being let through barriers with an Oyster, a couple of Qs

On 10 Jan 2004 05:24:25 -0800, (Phil) wrote:

Kat wrote in message ...
In message ,
writes

No, 26 wouldn't take anything from your Pre Pay

c) or could I have got back out of Leicester Square with no charge?

Yes.

Absolute rubbish at Greenford at least

Yesterday at Greenford went in to station, swiped card in a fit of
stupidity cause i really wanted a one day travelcard and came out
again
Barrier opened but said seek assistance
£1.00 was deducted from my pre pay Ticket office staff said write in
but when I got back in evening Station Supervisor recredited my pound

What happened here is that Pre-Pay deducts a value (£1.60 in Z1 and £1
elsewhere IIRC) upon entry. It then works out whether to deduct any more
money at your eventual exit. These "deduct on entry" values are much
less than the intended maximum fare deduction which is specifically
designed to encourage people to validate on exit so that value is
*added* back to the card for those journeys which cost less than the
maximum fare. Therefore the system did the right thing in deducting the
money on *entry* not on exit which is what the OP referred to as they
had a Travelcard.

The recrediting of £1 was, in my view, the right thing to do. I do not
know what the rule book says so cannot say which member of staff did or
did not do "the right thing".

Have you actually tried this is is your statement true sometimes but
not at others?

There really isn't a lot of point in sniping at the LUL staff who post
here who are trying to help.
--
Paul C