Old February 16th 10, 09:34 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LM penalty fares scheme: New Oyster Bizarrity

On 14 Feb, 12:51, MIG wrote:
On 14 Feb, 11:39, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 11:35:41 -0000, "Mitch" x wrote:
I commute every weekday to London and get about one ticket check a month,
yes far less than Silverlink. Given you can walk thru a coupled 350 (unlike
321's) its dissapointing.

Or realistic?

When I was commuting on LM, you'd see the same faces each day, all of
whom would hold a season ticket. *I expect fare dodging rates on early
morning trains to London to be very low. *Probably higher off-peak.

Neil

I do quite a lot of LM journeys, mostly either off-peak or counter-
peak, and I'd say that on-train checks are at least 90% for the
journeys I do. *Given that those are the most likely times for
evasion, they've probably got it covered.

Funny it should happen now, but there was actually a group of RP staff
on an LM train I was on, although my experience is of guards doing
checks.

I butted into a conversation because I mistakenly thought there was a
case of OEPs being enforced, and my curiosity got the better of me.

It turned out that a punter who was travelling from Euston to Watford
on a zone 1 - 9 travelcard season stored on Oyster was being told that
he was technically without a valid ticket because it hadn't registered
a touch at Euston. (He wasn't actually PFed or anything.)

I was doing something similar on a paper season, which was accepted
instantly.

The RP said that it had always been a rule that you had to touch in on
NR and said something about Oyster being a "different product". He
said that if you didn't touch in, there was no way of proving where
you started your journey. I said that with my paper travelcard I had
no way of proving anything either. He sort of agreed and shrugged.

I said, but what if you had a season on Oyster and were coming into
the zones from elsewhere? He said that the train has to stop there
and you have to touch in.

I directed him to sections 9 and 19 of the NRCoC (19 about combination
of tickets, where one of them is a season and 9 about electronic
tickets having exactly the same validity as paper tickets).

In this case, I am so sure that he was wrong, and possibly confused by
the whole OEP issue, that I am not going to bang on about Oyster
having rules just for the sake of being able to get you for breaking
the rules. Oyster cannot change the NRCoC.

So this must be a case of LM either making up its own rules or having
staff training issues. No one was actually PFed in this case, but if
that's the rule that LM staff are applying, then I guess they could be.