Old February 24th 10, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default New Google-ised bus mapping on the TfL website

On 24 Feb, 22:45, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 14:01:04 -0800 (PST), MIG

wrote:
I didn't realise during this discussion that these Google maps are ALL
there is. *So there is no way of seeing a map of an area showing where
the buses go.

Not correct. The quadrant and central London maps still exist and are on
the site.

Use this link

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...usdiagrams.asp

Ah, thanks. Well, I certainly failed to find it in the time I had to
search. It led me so determinedly to the search box.

I have finally found out how to navigate to the page you've linked
here. You have to click on "spider maps" from the page you go to when
you click on maps, bus from the home page. ie
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...s/default.aspx.

Something not linked (or wrongly linked) might as well not be there
really.

and area maps are at the bottom. *There is also a "other maps" link at
the very bottom of the Google-ised page. It's far too easy to miss in my
view and the choice to the pdf maps needs to stand equally beside the
Google menu box.

Spider maps are not much use for this, and don't show routes that
start just down the road from your chosen location.

True but the old maps are still available.

Totally f*cking useless. *Appalling. *Words fail me. *Not in all the
days since the NRE site was "improved" have I seen technology so
hopeless and obviously untested.

I don't agree at all that it approaches the disaster that was and is the
NRE site. *The navigation is poor to all of the available maps and there
are other issues - see below.

I wanted to check on all the routes that go roughly between two
places. *I can't. *I have to specify a route, which I obviously don't
know or I wouldn't be looking for a map, and I can only see one route
at a time. *And why does it select a route at random to show when you
specify a location?

Yes you can - see above

Does this mean that the paper maps, of which one used to be able to
view a PDF, will no longer be issued either?

No it doesn't - see above.

I picked up paper copies of the Jan 2010 editions - barring the North
East London version - at Victoria Bus Station today. *They are in a pile
a few centremetres away from the keyboard I am typing on.

Oh, and the mould on the turd is that the labelling seems to be
wrong. *I put in SE18. *It gave me a map with an arrow pointing at the
centre of Woolwich, which was labelled as Eltham.

Well I managed to get it to go spectacularly wrong earlier. I typed in
462 and it sent me to an address on the 216 route in Surrey. At the
second attempt it brought up route 462 which is what I wanted.

When it first launched a number of timetables did not work for
particular services. That seems to have eased in recent days.

It still does not recognise Leytonstone tube station - a recognised
terminal point for several routes as well as being served by several
through services. Now Leytonstone tube is actually hard to get right
given stops either side of the rail tracks but nonetheless it should be
able to cope.

Quality rant though!

But when the rant is fully justified, my always eloquence deserts me.
When something suitably slagworthy comes up, please remember this one.