Old April 30th 10, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Yellow front panels

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 16:23:04 +0100, Chris Tolley
(ukonline really) wrote:

Neil Williams wrote:

On Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:02:17 +0200, Johannes Picht
wrote:

AFAIK, the only networks on the continent requiring a specific front end
color are the Netherlands (white or yellow) and Italy (red).

In the UK, black is permitted (and usual) for steam locomotives. I
assume that's because of grandfather rights, but perhaps also because
you'd hear them a mile off anyway!

Red, shurely. But the stuff coming out of the chimney is a visual clue
too. Indeed, as a first order approximation, I've always assumed that
the yellow end is a replacement for the plume of smoke/steam.

But I am fairly sure that in some situations a Steam loco will be
emitting little smoke or steam. Going down a gradient with the fire
burning cleanly the exhaust can be fairly transparent And that will be
just the time that little noise is produced either.

G.Harman