Old May 6th 10, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page[_4_] Clive Page[_4_] is offline

Default ELL: poor passenger information systems

I made a small diversion on a journey yesterday and used the East London
Line from New Cross Gate to Whitechapel.

At other stations south of New Cross Gate, e.g. Brockley, were marked
with London Overground branding, even though they don't yet have the
trains. But at New Cross Gate, even though it does have the trains,
there were no signs evident at all. Having arrived on the slow up
platform I assumed that I had to go up the steps to the main station
level, but then there was no indication at all of ELL/Overground
services. The next departure was (I later found out) in 10 minutes, but
did not show on the main departures board. A helpful man at the ticket
gates told me to go to Platform 1. On platform 1 there was a new ELL
train but no indication of destination on the platform, or on the train
itself. Boarding passengers mostly asked those on the train whether it
was going to Dalston.

About 9 minutes later, i.e. about a minute before departure, the
on-train signs lit up showing Dalston. It's good that they leave the
waiting train open for passengers to board and get a seat, but not good
that their passenger information systems are so completely useless.

Several of the refurbished stations have nice murals or reproductions of
old photos on the walls - when I have more time I might be inclined to
get off and study them.

I changed to the District Line at Whitechapel - the signs directing you
to the platforms for the east and westbound services are ok, but once on
the appropriate platform the was no indication of which platform face
the next train would leave from, or whether District or Hammersmith
line. The platform had what I think was one of the old-style blinds
with cut-outs of destinations over a set of fluorescent tubes (don't
know that they are called). Whatever it was it didn't function, and I
checked both sides. Fortunately a train came in with Richmond on the
front. Nothing on the destination board throughout, no audible
announcements at any time.

Now that Whitechapel is again a fairly important interchange station,
it's about time TfL put in working destination boards.

--
Clive Page