Old January 19th 04, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default Aldwych Station

"John Rowland" wrote in message ...
"juvenal" wrote in message

Perhaps one might open up Aldwych Station as a
special undeground shopping mall or similar service,
with a dedicated rejeuvanated Underground shuttle
from Holborn.

Aldwych was closed because the lift was life expired, and the passenger
numbers couldn't justify its replacement. It will never see another
passenger train, unless a huge development occurs around Aldwych which can
fund the lift replacement.

No doubt the people who made that decision forgot that the underground is
a public service, not a for profit company. For somewhere like Ongar that
only had 3 people and a dog use the station each day I can understand closure
but aldwych had something like 500 people a day using it. Not a huge amount
but IMO enough to justify its being kept open given that there are probably
quite a few stations still open that probably get less usage that that.
The whole of the ELL springs to mind for starters plus Mill Hill East on the
northern line. But I guess in this country the bean counters rule.

B2003