Old July 20th 10, 01:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Oyster Route Validators - compulsory to touch?

"MIG" wrote in message
On 20 July, 09:28, skyguy wrote:
The sign at Wimbledon also seems to suggest that you must touch the
pink validator if changing between tube and train, but as far as I can
see almost no one ever does. The confusion isn't helped by the fact
that there's yellow validators on the tube platforms, pink validators
just beyond the platforms, yellow ones on the ticket gates at the top,
and special tram ones on that platform - I think people have learnt to
ignore them unless they have to open a gate.

The situation has been improved by the acceptance of PAYG on NR.

Previously, at Stratford you could ignore the pads at the end of the
DLR and on the Central platforms and touch out at the barrier.

PAYG on NR has only reduced the numbers of people needing the platform
validators, it hasn't allowed the facility to be removed - they are
basically there for people transferring to/from NR services that extend
beyond zone 6, just like those at Wimbledon.

Paul S