Old August 27th 10, 10:49 PM posted to nyc.transit,uk.transport.london
[email protected] davidmetzger0@gmail.com is offline

Default BMT "Standards" front window?

On Aug 27, 6:14*pm, "
wrote:
On 26/08/2010 21:57, Joseph D. Korman wrote:

wrote:
see photo:http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?113105

Did the BMT 'standard' car originally have two front windows? It
appears there is a frame opposite the motorman for a window but it is
blanked out.

Would anyone know accurately how this particular car type performed as
compared to the IND R-1/9 series? That is, mechanical reliability,
riding comfort, speed, etc?

If you were a passenger, which of the following car types would you
want to show up for your train? Why?

--IND R1-9
--BMT Standand
--BMT Triplex

I looked at a few historic photos in the Sansone book. It appears that
all of the BMT trains had railfan windows. As I recall, by the time I
became aware as a railfan, inside advertisements on the Standards and
Triplexes covered them.

I would have to say the Triplex - D types, mainly because the storm
doors had a very large window that could open and allow a very breezy
ride to Coney Island.

Sorry if this is a dupe, by news reader burped when I sent it the first
time. I'm not sure if it made it to the NG.

I guess the R-32s will be the last trains to have railfan windows? Truly
a shame.

What is that film that you find on newer rolling stock, which seems to
fragment everything?

Are there any railfan friendly cars on LU or DLR??