Old January 30th 04, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Aidan Stanger Aidan Stanger is offline

Default The Richmond Park/Wilmbeldon Common Rail/Tube/Decent Bus gap

Rich Johnston wrote:

Take a look at a map. Find Richmond PArk. Find Wimbledon Common. Find
the space in the middle. That's me. I live in Robin Hood Lane,
Kingston Vale, just off the A3.

Which end?

There is no tube or train station for miles. There is a series of
trainlines that circle the parks. There are connecting buses but they
all take council estate diversions.

Is the 85 really so indirect?

I would love... LOVE... a tube or train station on the A3, maybe near
Asda, maybe Roehampton at a push. Or even a direct bus that goes from
Kingston to Putney through Tibbets Corner (and not the Roehampton
estates).

What are the chances of my dream being fulfilled?

A feature in the August 1991 edition of Modern Railways mentioned the
possibility of a Hammersmith & City Line extension to Putney Vale.
However, David Bayliss (LT's director of planning at the time) is quoted
as saying it was "Very unlikely to proceed" because of the expense of
construction and because planners are unconvinced about demand.

AFAIK there have been no other rail proposals officially considered.
I can imagine a scenario where Roehampton gets a station, but it
involves a combination of unlikely events (Heathrow to Waterloo service
becoming so popular that they decide more tracks are needed, decision to
build straight underground route rather than widen existing route,
decision to install Roehampton station, funding readily available).

If light rail really takes off, you may get a line eventually, but
despite its distance from the railways, your area is unlikely to be a
priority and there's no obvious alignment suitable.

You've got a better chance of a direct bus, because bus routes are
constantly being changed slightly. However, I don't fancy your chances!