Old November 2nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Victoria LU ticket windows & machines closed weekend just gone

On Nov 2, 7:36*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 11:39:02 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

Curious as to what that entails - is it part of a regular 'frontline
experience' programme (or whatever it might be called)?

No - it is called providing help when there is a strike. Some people
have had some operational training and they can do a bit more to help
out. I do the customer information role - complete with blue hi-vi - and
help customers get to their destinations either by tube if the station
is open and trains are running or else by other routes. *In my case it
is a chance for me to show off for hours on end given my knowledge of
the transport network ;-) *

Seriously it can be a challenge given that people travel all over
Greater London and obviously want "instant answers" on how to get to
their destination. *Mostly it is a change from working in an office and
gives you the chance to meet the people who pay our wages.

When I have worked with other LU colleagues on other strike days they've
been a bit shocked at my ability to act like a human "journey planner".
Bus staff have been equally amazed that a LU non operational person
happens to understand where the buses run !

I'm having a bit of a day of failing to put 2 and 2 together - still,
as I can't even get the dates right for the strike then you can't
expect me to remember when it's happening!

I remember a past comment of yours about the abundance of weird and
wonderful journeys that people do, made IIRC as a result of helping
out during some previous strike.