Old December 9th 10, 06:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Paul is offline

Default Full 2011 fares now on the TfL website (inc. NR PAYG fares)

On Dec 8, 6:10*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
The full list of fares for 2011 are now available in all their glory on the
TfL website:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/default.aspx

The single fare finder is now available in 2011 flavour too:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/tickets/faresandtickets/farefinder/next/

There's a summary of the changes he
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/17538.aspx

The "Off-peak fares during the evening peak" (i.e. 'contraflow' off-peak
fares for Tube journeys into z1 in the evening) has of course already been
trumpeted, but just to note that it does only apply to the TfL tariff - i..e.
Tube, DLR and those NR lines which are on the TfL fare scale (see below) -
it doesn't apply to (all the other) NR lines. Of course TfL and the Mayor
don't have the power to unilaterally decide fares for NR services, and
furthermore the NR PAYG fares fall under the rail fares regulatory regime,
so arranging for the NR tariff to also offer 'contraflow' fares into z1
would be far from simple! (Perhaps the TOCs might push for this in the
future - though I dare say it's not the kind of thing they tend to get very
dynamic about.)

~ ~ ~

I also note that maximum journey times "are increasing for journeys in Zones
1-4", which suggests that they were perhaps a bit too tight for
slow-coaches, or perhaps more likely the limit could be hit when there were
service disruptions - anyhow, good to know that these things are not set in
stone and can and do change in response to feedback and monitoring.

~ ~ ~

Lastly, I notice that on the 'National Rail' page the information about
which PAYG tariff (or fare scale) applies - NR or TfL - when travelling on
NR lines is now presented in a rather clearer manner, with a link to a new
map which shows lines in green (NR tariff) or red (TfL tariff), instead of a
link to a list of NR lines that accepted PAYG before 2010 (said link now
appears to be dead too) - compare and contrast...

2010: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/17352.aspx

2011: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/14414.aspx

It's interesting that the 'legacy' (pre-2010) TfL tariff on NR lines
arrangement continue to exist (for PAYG) - it makes sense where an NR line
shadows an LU one and there's interavailability with LU fares (e.g.
Upminster-Fenchurch St), or where much of the NR route is enmeshed with LU
line(s) (e.g. Chiltern), but its continued existence on the GWML / FGW route
makes me wonder if the individual TOCs in question committed to a contract
with TfL in respect of PAYG acceptance which ties them in to the TfL tariff
for a number of years (bearing in mind these individual deals were struck
before the pan-London PAYG on NR deal was agreed between all the London TOCs
and TfL).

With regards to the NR tariff versus the TfL tariff, when considering
journeys into zone 1 the NR tariff is cheaper for shorter journeys (fewer
zones), whilst the TfL tariff is cheaper for longer journeys (more zones) -
actually they're almost level at zones 1-4 and 1-5 (though NR is still
marginally cheaper - it's only a z1-6 journey that's cheaper with the TfL
tariff). However when looking at non-zone 1 journeys, the TfL tariff is
seemingly always cheaper than the NR tariff (apart from single zone journeys
which off-peak are the same at �1.30, and peak there's a ten pence
difference - �1.50 NR, �1.40 TfL).

Note my quick and dirty comparison above doesn't encompass NR+TfL 'through
fares', and only looks at zones 1-6 (and it's the 2011 fares I'm looking
at).

~ ~ ~

Oh, and whilst I certainly wasn't looking for any I stumbled across one
apparent mistake already!

How typical of Tfl to announce full details of the new year fares
increase before they anonunce details of the service that they will
deign to run over the Christmas holiday period.

I like the paragraph where it says "We're also simplifying Daily price
capping", and then goes on to announce, for example, that the cap for
Zones 1 - 3 is being withdrawn, and the cap for Zones 1- 4 is being
applied instead, Therefore, someone who only travels in Zones 1 - 3
will have to make extra journeys before the price cap is applied.
How about if they told the truth - instead of "We're also simplifying
Daily price capping", they said "We're also introducing a back door
fares increase"