Old January 14th 11, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default Boris stokes it up with Tube unions with talk of automatic trains

On 14/01/2011 16:11, Mizter T wrote:

Just looked at the title I used for this thread, it's probably not the
best - I'd originally written "talk of driverless trains", prompted by
the BBC's piece which uses that phrase, but then edited it to say
"automatic trains" instead, given that Boris seemingly didn't use the
word 'driverless' during his spiel.

The full spiel (or what the alien lizards want us to think is the full
spiel) is he

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/d...on-tube-unions
===================
[...]
We have successfully dismantled the PPP and we have huge scope now to
modernise and improve the service. And let me give you one detail of the
changes that we are making that will be increasingly important in the
years ahead.

When the Jubilee works are complete there will be three lines in London
- the Jubilee, Victoria and Central - which will operate on an automated
system and it is a fact – though not a widely known fact – that as we
speak most of the Jubilee Line currently runs under automatic train
operation, from Stratford to Neasden. In other words the driving of the
train is done by computer rather than manually. ***Of course there will
still need to be someone aboard the train, just as every DLR train is
staffed*** but thanks to the advanced signalling being installed it is
also a fact that anyone in this room could in a matter of a few weeks
acquire the qualifications necessary to supervise an underground train
and the huge potential implications of that change will be obvious to
everyone.

And so I say to our colleagues in the trades union leadership that I
respect and understand the vital role of unions in a free society to
secure the best terms and conditions for their members but I hope they
will recognise that the patience of Londoners is not endless and that
they should abandon the recent pattern of pointless strikes and work
with us to use this settlement to improve the Tube, to modernise the
service and the best way to achieve a happy and contented workforce on
the Tube is not just to have excellent pay and conditions but above all
to have the satisfaction of providing an ever better service, and that
is what we are going to achieve with 33 per cent increase in capacity
which will of course provide more employment on the Underground.

I couldn't really believe it when Aslef said they were going to strike
on the day of the royal wedding and Aslef couldn't believe it themselves
because that threat has receded and I am glad because this city has so
much to look forward to, not just the wedding but in only 500 days the
Olympics - putting village back into city - and a chance to embed the
spirit of generosity.

Presumably the fuss about a real or imagined strike means that it will
now be difficult for there to be a strike, as Boris will be able to say
"see, I was right all along".
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK