Old January 14th 11, 02:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Boris stokes it up with Tube unions with talk of automatic trains

BBC:

Standard:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23914025-.do

Bozza said (amongst other things): "It is a fact that anybody in this room
could in a matter of a few weeks acquire the qualifications to supervise an
Underground train."

Crow retorted: "Suggesting that drunken bankers and grandees can drive Tube
trains is a disgrace."

Leaving aside the worrying notion that the bankers may have actually been
mostly sober during the run up to the financial crises, Boris does seem
particularly keen to pour some kerosene onto the naked flame of the dispute
with the Tube unions - this isn't really the stuff of sitting down with them
and negotiating a no-strike deal as his manifesto promised!

The BBC story mentions the phrase 'driverless trains', and in the ES piece
it's a phrase used by some of those reacting to the speech - whilst I rather
suspect that was Team Boris's intention, it seems he didn't actually use the
phrase (not as such) - rather his point seems to be that in an ATO
environment, Tube train operators assume a lesser role (therefore they
should be good and stop causing trouble). Well, I don't think you're really
onto a winning strategy there Bozza, for numerous reasons.

Old January 14th 11, 03:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

Just looked at the title I used for this thread, it's probably not the
best - I'd originally written "talk of driverless trains", prompted by the
BBC's piece which uses that phrase, but then edited it to say "automatic
trains" instead, given that Boris seemingly didn't use the word 'driverless'
during his spiel.

Old January 14th 11, 06:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote:

[...]

But it can (and will) be done. See
http://www.humantransit.org/2010/02/...t-matters.html

MaxB

Old January 14th 11, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/01/2011 16:11, Mizter T wrote:

Just looked at the title I used for this thread, it's probably not the
best - I'd originally written "talk of driverless trains", prompted by
the BBC's piece which uses that phrase, but then edited it to say
"automatic trains" instead, given that Boris seemingly didn't use the
word 'driverless' during his spiel.

The full spiel (or what the alien lizards want us to think is the full
spiel) is he

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/d...on-tube-unions
===================
[...]
We have successfully dismantled the PPP and we have huge scope now to
modernise and improve the service. And let me give you one detail of the
changes that we are making that will be increasingly important in the
years ahead.

When the Jubilee works are complete there will be three lines in London
- the Jubilee, Victoria and Central - which will operate on an automated
system and it is a fact – though not a widely known fact – that as we
speak most of the Jubilee Line currently runs under automatic train
operation, from Stratford to Neasden. In other words the driving of the
train is done by computer rather than manually. ***Of course there will
still need to be someone aboard the train, just as every DLR train is
staffed*** but thanks to the advanced signalling being installed it is
also a fact that anyone in this room could in a matter of a few weeks
acquire the qualifications necessary to supervise an underground train
and the huge potential implications of that change will be obvious to
everyone.

And so I say to our colleagues in the trades union leadership that I
respect and understand the vital role of unions in a free society to
secure the best terms and conditions for their members but I hope they
will recognise that the patience of Londoners is not endless and that
they should abandon the recent pattern of pointless strikes and work
with us to use this settlement to improve the Tube, to modernise the
service and the best way to achieve a happy and contented workforce on
the Tube is not just to have excellent pay and conditions but above all
to have the satisfaction of providing an ever better service, and that
is what we are going to achieve with 33 per cent increase in capacity
which will of course provide more employment on the Underground.

I couldn't really believe it when Aslef said they were going to strike
on the day of the royal wedding and Aslef couldn't believe it themselves
because that threat has receded and I am glad because this city has so
much to look forward to, not just the wedding but in only 500 days the
Olympics - putting village back into city - and a chance to embed the
spirit of generosity.
===============

Presumably the fuss about a real or imagined strike means that it will
now be difficult for there to be a strike, as Boris will be able to say
"see, I was right all along".
--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old January 14th 11, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14/01/2011 22:25, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:54:04 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

On 14/01/2011 16:11, Mizter T wrote:

Just looked at the title I used for this thread, it's probably not the
best - I'd originally written "talk of driverless trains", prompted by
the BBC's piece which uses that phrase, but then edited it to say
"automatic trains" instead, given that Boris seemingly didn't use the
word 'driverless' during his spiel.

The full spiel (or what the alien lizards want us to think is the full
spiel) is he

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/d...on-tube-unions
===================
[...]

[snip]

Thanks for digging that out. I just goes to show that it is best to read
things in their full context. Seemed pretty well balanced to me and not
the hysteria inducing nonsense "edit" we were initially presented with.

Quite. Though I bet "well balanced" doesn't attract anything like the
number of sales/viewers/clicks that "Boris/Bob [delete according to
taste] Kills Your Kittens!" does....

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old January 15th 11, 07:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london

*wrote:

On 14/01/2011 16:11, Mizter T wrote:

Just looked at the title I used for this thread, it's probably not the
best - I'd originally written "talk of driverless trains", prompted by
the BBC's piece which uses that phrase, but then edited it to say
"automatic trains" instead, given that Boris seemingly didn't use the
word 'driverless' during his spiel.

The full spiel (or what the alien lizards want us to think is the full
spiel) is he

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/d...n/14/boris-joh....
===================
[...]

[snip]

Thanks for digging that out. I just goes to show that it is best to read
things in their full context. Seemed pretty well balanced to me and not
the hysteria inducing nonsense "edit" we were initially presented with.

Quite. Though I bet "well balanced" doesn't attract anything like the
number of sales/viewers/clicks that "Boris/Bob [delete according to
taste] Kills Your Kittens!" does....

--
Arthur Figgis * * * * * * * * Surrey, UK

It seems to me that this whole thing with ASLEF is a response to the
press coverage given to Bob Crow and the RMT. The RMT have been very
active over the last few years and they've had lots of media
coverage. They've been taking out huge ads in some of the trade press
too. ASLEF could see their star in the descendent so they grabbed the
chance to rock the boat with the Boxing Day attack. The losers are
the staff and the passengers.