Old February 10th 11, 10:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Whats up with the Met line these days?

d wrote:
It seems that virtually every morning on the travel news theres a
problem
on it. Today it was overrunning engineering works, yesterday there
was no surface to aldgate and loads of issues last week too. Is this
all down to the S stock introduction or is the line just slowly
falling to bits?

It's been a shambles for the 20+ years that I've been commuting into the
City - and I generally only do the 4 miles from Baker Street to Aldgate. The
smallest amount of rain and the signalling collapses. There's no capacity
for turning trains back, so they try and shovel them all down into the City
where, with only Moorgate and Aldgate to turn back, any westbound delays
prevent trains from returning, leading to a backlog eastbound as there's
nowhere to turn trains once all the bays are full. Every day it's the usual
"due to congestion in the City area trains are running slowly". It's a
complete farce - I can't wait until I retire!

As for the 'S' stock, it seems to be performing pretty well out on the Met
main, so I don't think that that has been a factor in the recent lousy
service levels.