Old March 8th 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] romic@cix.compulink.co.uk is offline

Default Carto Metro London Underground etc.Map

In article ,

*From:* "Mizter T"
*Date:* Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:23:12 -0000

wrote:
[W&C line]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road.
Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane
directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something
else new
that I've learnt :-)

Here's the W&C carriages being lifted out of the hole in April '06
for refurbishment...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213923/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214056/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214019/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349919722/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349948484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213974/

And here's one after the refurb, about to be craned back down the
Drain in August '06:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimd/224388470/

Alas none really show the 'hole' - aha, here's a shot that
illustrates that:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207601090/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598827/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597974/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597588/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597190/

I realise now I've arranged these in the wrong order - these were
the refurbed carriages being returned to their subterranean home -
my excuse is that they don't show in chronological order he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version...terloocityline
/

You can see the 'hole' from street level of course.

I've just checked out the photos, they're good. Are the cars being lifted
very high, or is it an optical illusion?

Checking Google Earth again, the position of the rectangular hole can be
clearly seen, with what appears to be blue netting over it. Looking at it
from road level in Streetview, the site of the hole is very clearly seen
with the blue metal grids (what looked like netting on GE) and a fixed
crane on the left. I assume that the crane is used for lifting materials
(not cars) to / from the depot.

Roger