Old March 8th 11, 09:46 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Carto Metro London Underground etc.Map

On Mar 7, 10:48*pm, wrote:
In article ,

*From:* Martin Petrov
*Date:* Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:11:00 +0000 (UTC)

I've only just joined the newsgroup after a long absence, so I
don't
know what's been posted.

Franklin Jarrier has recently updated the London map with some
minor
changes and additions - now v1.1

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-london/

That is an outstanding map - though as a minor point of order,
Shoreditch station is listed as closing 22/12/2007 - I'm pretty
sure it closed in June/July 2006, while the rest of the ELL closed
on the date you've suggested? (anyone confirm?)

Thanks for that, Wiki has the same date - I'll let Franklin know.

Roger- Hide quoted text -

Harrow North Junction is shown back to front (ie the northbound
connection is shown north of the southbound connection instead of
alongside it, IYSWIM)

StuartJ

Old March 8th 11, 10:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2011-03-07 22:11:00 +0000, Martin Petrov said:

I've only just joined the newsgroup after a long absence, so I don't
know what's been posted.

Franklin Jarrier has recently updated the London map with some minor
changes and additions - now v1.1

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-london/

That is an outstanding map - though as a minor point of order, Shoreditch
station is listed as closing 22/12/2007 - I'm pretty sure it closed in
June/July 2006, while the rest of the ELL closed on the date you've
suggested? (anyone confirm?)

I'm going to bookmark this map - it's excellent.

Another quibble: the closure date for Blake Hall is given as about 20
years too early.

Old March 8th 11, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,

*From:* StuartJ
*Date:* Tue, 8 Mar 2011 02:46:06 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 7, 10:48*pm, wrote:
In article ,

*From:* Martin Petrov
*Date:* Mon, 7 Mar 2011 22:11:00 +0000 (UTC)

[...]

Thanks
I've passed that on

Roger

Roger

Old March 8th 11, 11:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

*From:* Ken Wheatley
*Date:* Tue, 8 Mar 2011 11:15:32 +0000

On 2011-03-07 22:11:00 +0000, Martin Petrov said:

I've only just joined the newsgroup after a long absence, so I

don't
know what's been posted.

Franklin Jarrier has recently updated the London map with some

minor
changes and additions - now v1.1

http://carto.metro.free.fr/metro-london/

That is an outstanding map - though as a minor point of order,
Shoreditch
station is listed as closing 22/12/2007 - I'm pretty sure it
closed in
June/July 2006, while the rest of the ELL closed on the date
you've
suggested? (anyone confirm?)

I'm going to bookmark this map - it's excellent.

Another quibble: the closure date for Blake Hall is given as about
20 years too early.

Thanks - passed on for correction

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:59:34 -0600

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:36:35 -0600

In article ,
() wrote:

Canonbury's now sorted,

Not that I can see. it still shows as from Southbound GNC to
Eastbound NLL.

I've checked W&C and the lift siding still appears to be there
(probably as an engineers siding) - it's shown as no.8 siding

on the map. That doesn't make sense to me. No 8 siding is
shown within the depot area on the map I'm looking at. The

siding to the lift went off straight ahead on the approach to the
station from Bank about where the curve to the right into the
Waterloo platforms starts.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Sorry, I meant to say that Franklin has now updated Canonbury and
this will be shown correctly when the next version of the map is
uploaded.

Reading Wiki, I see what you mean about the position of the lift
siding. I don't know anything about the arrangements at Waterloo
depot. What I was referring to was shown as "lift siding" on one
diagram and "8 siding" on another diagram, so I just assumed that 8
siding was the siding you were referring to. I'll have to try and
Google around to see if I can find a diagram showing the lift
siding connection so that I can pass it on to Franklin.

Roger

Looking at the 1914 Ordnance Survey map, I think I can see where the lift
was at ground level. Was the lift siding off the NB W&C line?

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 12:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:59:34 -0600

In article ,

*From:*

*Date:* Tue, 08 Mar 2011 05:36:35 -0600

In article ,
() wrote:

[...]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road. Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something else new
that I've learnt :-)

Roger
Old March 8th 11, 01:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
[W&C line]

I've now found out why 8 road is now also called the lift road. Since the
closure of the Armstrong lift, the cars are lifted by crane directly from
8 road. The track of 8 road can be seen in Google Earth in the 'V'
junction between Spur Road and Station Approach Road. Something else new
that I've learnt :-)

Here's the W&C carriages being lifted out of the hole in April '06 for
refurbishment...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213923/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214056/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121214019/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349919722/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/justindperkins/4349948484/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zimpenfish/121213974/

And here's one after the refurb, about to be craned back down the Drain in
August '06:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimd/224388470/

Alas none really show the 'hole' - aha, here's a shot that illustrates that:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207601090/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598827/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207598449/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597974/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597588/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version-3-point-1/207597190/

I realise now I've arranged these in the wrong order - these were the
refurbed carriages being returned to their subterranean home - my excuse is
that they don't show in chronological order he
http://www.flickr.com/photos/version...erloocityline/

You can see the 'hole' from street level of course.

Old March 8th 11, 06:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*From:* "Mizter T"
*Date:* Tue, 8 Mar 2011 14:23:12 -0000

wrote:
[W&C line]

[...]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/version...terloocityline
/

You can see the 'hole' from street level of course.

I've just checked out the photos, they're good. Are the cars being lifted
very high, or is it an optical illusion?

Checking Google Earth again, the position of the rectangular hole can be
clearly seen, with what appears to be blue netting over it. Looking at it
from road level in Streetview, the site of the hole is very clearly seen
with the blue metal grids (what looked like netting on GE) and a fixed
crane on the left. I assume that the crane is used for lifting materials
(not cars) to / from the depot.

Roger