Old April 5th 11, 09:02 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Chris Tolley[_2_] Chris  Tolley[_2_] is offline

Default Massive Disruption at Paddington - Very Badly Handled Yet Again

Hils wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 08:13:21 on Tue, 5
Apr 2011, Graeme Wall remarked:
This is very sad - but why so many at Southall anyway? It does seem to
be a regular occurance.

One theory I've seen is that many of the suicides are Asian women
escaping the torments of arranged marriages.

And for cultural reasons they may well find it much harder to seek help.

Southall, of course, having a large population of British Asians.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/967153.stm

"Asian women are three times more likely to commit suicide than the rest
of the population."

"One study found that the suicide rate in women aged 16-24 years was
three times higher in women of Asian origin than in white British women.
[...] Asian men appear to be far less vulnerable to suicide than young
men from white British backgrounds."

(The suicide rate among white British women is lower than in the general
population. The suicide rate among men is more than three times that
among women.)

"[The] risk of suicide in unemployed men is two to three times higher
than in the general population."

http://www.mind.org.uk/help/research...ion_strategies

Odd how we read more about Asian [sic] women being "victims" than about
unemployed men.

I suspect that it isn't odd at all, but predetermined by our selection
of what we read.

Moreover, the women of Asian heritage who are driven to take their lives
often have been victims of abuse from an identifiable abuser, whereas
someone who is unemployed has rarely been victimised by one person,
unless you are going to lay the blame for their state at the door of the
person who puts the figures in the spreadsheet.

--
..sig down for maintenance