Old May 12th 11, 07:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Chris Tolley[_2_] Chris  Tolley[_2_] is offline

Default Croxley Rail Link "Exhibition" dates

Basil Jet wrote:

On 2011\05\12 02:30, Free Lunch wrote:
On Wed, 11 May 2011 08:44:59 +0100, Chris
(ukonline really) wrote in misc.transport.urban-transit:

Free Lunch wrote:

On Tue, 10 May 2011 23:06:08 +0100, Chris
(ukonline really) wrote in misc.transport.urban-transit:

1506 wrote:

If I told my neighbrs in Washoe County, Nevada that I grew up in
Buckinghamshire they would not relate that to a county, "Shire" is
obscure in North America.

It briefly comes to the fore every four years at the start of the
Presidential race.

It may be smaller than some US counties, but no one thinks of the
(clearly misnamed) New Hampshire as a county.

Not suggesting they do, just suggesting that "shire", as relating to a
place is not obscure.

Why is it "clearly misnamed", BTW?

Because it's not just a county, it's a state.

At least it isn't New Yorkshire.

But it is New England!

Quite. In context, it's a sub-unit of New England.

Looked at like that, US counties are not equivalent to UK counties, but
rather to UK hundreds and wapentakes.

--
..sig down for maintenance