Old June 10th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Dulieu[_3_] Steve Dulieu[_3_] is offline

Default Oyster query - how could this have happened

wrote in message ...

In article ,
(Steve Dulieu) wrote:

wrote in message

I used my Oyster card (with Senior Railcard registered) to get from
Waterloo to Putney on SWT last night, arriving at 22:44. I am sure I
touched in (to open the barrier at Waterloo) and out at Putney where
the barriers were open and no staff were to be seen other than
cleaners.

The touch out showed £1.90 and (£0.00). My starting balance was £1.90.
At first I thought this meant I have been charged too much and the
new card balance was zero.

I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket
machine there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the
journey history correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

Wild speculation, anything to do with the Weybridge inspired
humongous clusterfu*k on Monday evening/night?

Tell us more? Services from Waterloo seemed to be running normally when I
got my train.

Needed to get from Chingford to Surbiton, so bus and tube to Vauxhall to
discover severe delays due to some sort of signal failure at Weybridge, got
to Vauxhall at about 19:20, waited on P8 for about 25 mins with no trains.
In came a Strawberry Hill service crush loaded before the waiting throng had
even started to get on. After that had departed gave it another 15 mins,
gave up and jumped on a 156 to Wimbldon. When I got to Wimbledon I asked the
chap by the barrier if there was any service running yet (it was about 20:40
by now) he didn't know and suggested that I check with his colleague on the
platform. Of course the lad on the platform was being kept busy by people
trying to get home, but when I got to speak to him, he checked a display he
had and told us that there were currently no trains between Waterloo and
Wimbledon so it would be a minimum of half an hour before anything came
through. Back to the buses then, bus to Kingston, followed by another to
Surbiton. Left Chingford at 18:30, got to Surbiton at 22:00.

--
Cheers, Steve.