Old June 9th 11, 12:15 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Oyster query - how could this have happened

I used my Oyster card (with Senior Railcard registered) to get from
Waterloo to Putney on SWT last night, arriving at 22:44. I am sure I
touched in (to open the barrier at Waterloo) and out at Putney where the
barriers were open and no staff were to be seen other than cleaners.

The touch out showed £1.90 and (£0.00). My starting balance was £1.90. At
first I thought this meant I have been charged too much and the new card
balance was zero.

I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket machine
there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the journey history
correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old June 9th 11, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message
I used my Oyster card (with Senior Railcard registered) to get from
Waterloo to Putney on SWT last night, arriving at 22:44. I am sure I
touched in (to open the barrier at Waterloo) and out at Putney where the
barriers were open and no staff were to be seen other than cleaners.

The touch out showed £1.90 and (£0.00). My starting balance was £1.90. At
first I thought this meant I have been charged too much and the new card
balance was zero.

I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket machine
there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the journey history
correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

How and when did you get to Waterloo - could your journey have been joined
with a previous one because of an OSI?

Paul S

Old June 9th 11, 10:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

How did that happen?

Oyster isn't very reliable. By the law of averages, it was only a
matter of time until it made a mistake that benefited the customer
rather than TfL.

Old June 9th 11, 10:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...

I used my Oyster card (with Senior Railcard registered) to get from
Waterloo to Putney on SWT last night, arriving at 22:44. I am sure I
touched in (to open the barrier at Waterloo) and out at Putney where the
barriers were open and no staff were to be seen other than cleaners.

The touch out showed £1.90 and (£0.00). My starting balance was £1.90. At
first I thought this meant I have been charged too much and the new card
balance was zero.

I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket machine
there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the journey history
correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

Wild speculation, anything to do with the Weybridge inspired humongous
clusterfu*k on Monday evening/night?

--
Cheers, Steve.

Old June 10th 11, 12:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 9 Jun 2011 23:59:11 +0100, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:

[Colin:]
I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket machine
there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the journey history
correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

Wild speculation, anything to do with the Weybridge inspired humongous
clusterfu*k on Monday evening/night?

I travelled on Monday evening and paid the normal fare - it could have
been worse, I wondered whether my journey would have timed-out - in
the end it was exactly 90 minutes from touch in to touch out, CLJ -
SUR.

Still, it turns out that Monday's disruption was but a dress rehearsal
for the main event yesterday, and I got caught again in that!

Richard.
Old June 10th 11, 12:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message ...

In article ,
(Steve Dulieu) wrote:

wrote in message

I used my Oyster card (with Senior Railcard registered) to get from
Waterloo to Putney on SWT last night, arriving at 22:44. I am sure I
touched in (to open the barrier at Waterloo) and out at Putney where
the barriers were open and no staff were to be seen other than
cleaners.

The touch out showed £1.90 and (£0.00). My starting balance was £1.90.
At first I thought this meant I have been charged too much and the
new card balance was zero.

I went past East Putney this morning and checked on the big ticket
machine there. It showed my balance was still £1.90 and showed the
journey history correctly but with a fare of "£0.00".

How did that happen?

Wild speculation, anything to do with the Weybridge inspired
humongous clusterfu*k on Monday evening/night?

Tell us more? Services from Waterloo seemed to be running normally when I
got my train.

Needed to get from Chingford to Surbiton, so bus and tube to Vauxhall to
discover severe delays due to some sort of signal failure at Weybridge, got
to Vauxhall at about 19:20, waited on P8 for about 25 mins with no trains.
In came a Strawberry Hill service crush loaded before the waiting throng had
even started to get on. After that had departed gave it another 15 mins,
gave up and jumped on a 156 to Wimbldon. When I got to Wimbledon I asked the
chap by the barrier if there was any service running yet (it was about 20:40
by now) he didn't know and suggested that I check with his colleague on the
platform. Of course the lad on the platform was being kept busy by people
trying to get home, but when I got to speak to him, he checked a display he
had and told us that there were currently no trains between Waterloo and
Wimbledon so it would be a minimum of half an hour before anything came
through. Back to the buses then, bus to Kingston, followed by another to
Surbiton. Left Chingford at 18:30, got to Surbiton at 22:00.

--
Cheers, Steve.

Old June 11th 11, 11:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Steve Dulieu) wrote:

wrote in message

In article ,
(Steve Dulieu) wrote:

[...]

Sounds like it had been sorted by the time I got to Waterloo at about
22:25 then.

--
Colin Rosenstiel