Old September 23rd 11, 02:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Dartford Crossing charges to rise

Well, strictly speaking the DfT are running a consultation on the proposed
charge increases, but (UIVMM) it's a statutory consultation they have to do
as per the road user charging legislation, so in reality I think it's just
the DfT going through the motions - and it ends today, so should anyone have
any strong feelings on the matter they need to respond sharpish!

The documents are all he
http://www.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-08

The main consultation document is he
http://assets.dft.gov.uk/consultations/dft-2011-08/dft-2011-08-consultation-document.pdf

The proposals are for a two stage increase in the charges - the first
increase in "late 2011" and the second increase in "spring 2012".

Charges for cars will rise from £1.50 to £2.00, then £2.50.

Charges for 2 axle goods vehicles will rise from £2.00, to £2.50, then
£3.00.

Charges for multi axle goods vehicles will rise from £3.70 to £5.00, then
£6.00.

The Crossing will continue to be free between 10pm and 6am, as has been the
case since November '08 when the charges were last revised (then the charge
for cars went up from £1 to £1.50).

Charges for Dart-Tag holders will also rise, but will continue to offer a
discount over the normal (cash) charge.

There's talk of encouraging greater take up of the Dart-Tag, in particular
amongst car drivers, in preparation for future "free-flow charging
technology", which I think just means (unbarriered) express lanes as
featured on toll roads elsewhere.

It's interesting to read that take up of the local residents discount,
available since 2008 to residents of Dartford and Thurrock and implemented
via the Dart-Tag system, has been lower than anticipated - though the
document does go on to state that "very local journeys" using the Crossing
are minimal (which isn't surprising).

Whilst Ensignbus does run an hourly bus service through the tunnel, the X80 [*], the way to get across for free is to be on a bicycle - well, not
literally on a bike, rather a cyclist and their bike are carried for free on
request - my understanding is that we have the House of Lords to thank for
that, as they inserted a clause in the legislation to that effect. I am
curious as to whether there are actually any regular cycle commuters that
make use of the Dartford Crossing?

Regarding the rises in the Crossing charges, I wonder to what extent it
might push traffic seeking to avoid paying into routing via the Blackwall
Tunnel instead (i.e. via the A2 or A20 on the south side and the A12 or even
A13 on the north side) - away from the (long) peaks, e.g. in the middle of
the day, it could be a feasible alternative.

-----[*] http://www.ensignbus.com/bus_routes-X80.htm