Old October 28th 11, 02:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Stuart Moore Stuart Moore is offline

Default "Airtrack-Lite" link to Heathrow proposed by Wandsworth Council

On Oct 28, 2:54*pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote:
Posted without comment:

Wandsworth reveals Waterloo-Heathrow direct rail plans

Wandsworth Council has today unveiled plans for a new direct rail
service from south London to Heathrow airport.
[...]
A map of the proposed route is available on the council's website:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/6xjzzoa

I'll leave it to others to question (/ demolish!) this particular proposal
(/ bit of blue sky thinking), but with regards to the underlying issue - the
lack of rail connectivity from Heathrow to the south really is a significant
missing piece in terms of public transport access to the airport. I'm sure
it'd result in fewer people getting to and from the airport by car/cab, with
the knock-on benefits in terms of a reduction in road traffic that'd bring
(indeed I'm sure there's some Airtrack related study or two to this end out
there somewhere... but I haven't looked for it, let alone read it!).

I guess if this proposal went ahead, once the tunnels are there,
there's the option for other routes to link in.

Would the plan give a through route up to the Heathrow express
tunnels? That'd give extra options for joined up transport links.