Old November 1st 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
amogles amogles is offline

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

On Sep 9, 1:32*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need. Although I agree that elsewhere (I can think of Chicago, DFW,
Newark as well as ATL in USA, then CDG and Frankfurt in Europe) they
have Gatwick style people mover.

Not really comparable as in said places there is only one station
served by exernal trains so the internal transport system must absorb
all onwards movements to the other terminals. In Heathrow, the
external transport system can take you directly to the terminal of
your choice. This is a better service as passengers don't like to
change trains, especially not with luggage.

The most ridiculous system I've come across so far is in Dallas (DFW).
The TRE train stops at a station called "DFW airport" but isn't
anywhere near the airport. From there, there's a connecting shuttle
bus. But the shuttle bus doesn't go to the airport either but drops
you off at one of the peripheral parking lots from where the car park
shuttle bus takes you to the air terminal. I don't know whether
they're worried about the rail shuttle bus contaimating the airport or
something. Despite teh hassle there are still quite a few people using
it.