Old September 18th 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

Default Heathrow to western GWML link under consideration

Roland Perry wrote

And then there's the "Maestro"/Servicecard issue, I don't think they
were ever properly interoperable. They've changed to Visa Debit, now
that the Cheque Guarantee aspect is obsolete.

The change to Visa Debit took place a year and more earlier, so I had
one in June 2010 with Cheque Guarantee logo (the scheme was withdrawn
in June 2011).

I never used my "Maestro"/Servicecard outside the UK the charges
looking excessive. These are replicated for the replacement Visa Debit
I see so a prepaid Visa might be cheaper for getting cash outside the
UK.

--
Mike D

Old September 18th 11, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Cummins wrote

In theory, ANY card should work in ANY cash machine in the UK - there

is
theoretical 100% inter-operability.

If the issuing bank wants, anyway.

BBC Moneybox recently noted that one bank's /basic/ account now allows
only the use of 'own' cash machines.

If /basic/ customers take out small amounts often the fees payable to
other banks might make such accounts unprofitable.

--
Mike D

Old September 18th 11, 04:44 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message 01cc760b$ba9beb00$LocalHost@default, at 14:10:54 on Sun, 18
Sep 2011, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:
Roland Perry wrote

And then there's the "Maestro"/Servicecard issue, I don't think they
were ever properly interoperable. They've changed to Visa Debit, now
that the Cheque Guarantee aspect is obsolete.

The change to Visa Debit took place a year and more earlier, so I had
one in June 2010 with Cheque Guarantee logo (the scheme was withdrawn
in June 2011).

Time flies. I thought I'd had mine replaced more recently than that (it
was before the expiry date of the Servicecard) but it seems not.

I never used my "Maestro"/Servicecard outside the UK the charges
looking excessive. These are replicated for the replacement Visa Debit
I see so a prepaid Visa might be cheaper for getting cash outside the
UK.

I used mine a bit in the mid 90's before I started travelling a lot and
wondering what the absolutely best card was.
Old September 18th 11, 11:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Cummins wrote
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Michael R Dolbear) came up to

me and whispered:

BBC Moneybox recently noted that one bank's /basic/ account now
allows only the use of 'own' cash machines.

Which bank - I will avoid them.

www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/moneybox.
Saturday, 27th August (program can be downloaded as an MP3)

Newletter - RBS decides its poorest customers can no longer get their
cash out of cash machines belonging to other banks. It says the cost
(around 20p a withdrawal) is not worthwhile for customers who have
little money in their account.

I assume "other banks" means those not owned by RBS.

--
Mike D

Old September 19th 11, 06:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message 01cc7641$4f455f40$LocalHost@default, at 23:26:46 on Sun, 18
Sep 2011, Michael R N Dolbear remarked:
Newletter - RBS decides its poorest customers can no longer get their
cash out of cash machines belonging to other banks. It says the cost
(around 20p a withdrawal) is not worthwhile for customers who have
little money in their account.

RBS's shareholders (84% being us) have asked them to make as much profit
as possible to build up reserves.

I assume "other banks" means those not owned by RBS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/feedarticle/9802014

Says the 8,000 customers affected can use ATMS of RBS, Natwest and
Tesco. Their own website makes the situation clear, and also lists Post
Office counters and Morrison ATMs as somewhere you can withdraw cash.
Old November 1st 11, 08:26 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sep 9, 1:32*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

I think they believe the Heathrow Connect/HEx free shuttles fulfil that
need. Although I agree that elsewhere (I can think of Chicago, DFW,
Newark as well as ATL in USA, then CDG and Frankfurt in Europe) they
have Gatwick style people mover.

Not really comparable as in said places there is only one station
served by exernal trains so the internal transport system must absorb
all onwards movements to the other terminals. In Heathrow, the
external transport system can take you directly to the terminal of
your choice. This is a better service as passengers don't like to
change trains, especially not with luggage.

The most ridiculous system I've come across so far is in Dallas (DFW).
The TRE train stops at a station called "DFW airport" but isn't
anywhere near the airport. From there, there's a connecting shuttle
bus. But the shuttle bus doesn't go to the airport either but drops
you off at one of the peripheral parking lots from where the car park
shuttle bus takes you to the air terminal. I don't know whether
they're worried about the rail shuttle bus contaimating the airport or
something. Despite teh hassle there are still quite a few people using
it.