Old December 19th 11, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] boltar2003@boltar.world is offline

Default Boxing Day Tube Strike - What A Surprise

On Fri, 16 Dec 2011 19:16:59 +0000
Eric wrote:
No doubt, but how is that any different to a car driver learning various
routes to work?

Very few car/truck drivers learn their regular routes to the extent that
train drivers have to. Just where to turn and a few tricks about lane
changes and visibility problems.

Am where the potholes are, where the speed cameras are, what are the alternative
routes if there's a traffic jam. Where are the shops along the way etc etc.
What does a train driver have to learn? Where the signals are and the speed
limits and .... anything else?

So you see a yellow you slow, if you see a red you stop. Not rocket science.

Given the stopping distances of trains and their variations under
changes in weather or something that a car driver would consider

The placing of the signals takes all that into account. Why do you think
there are yellow and double yellow in the first place?

payments (mostly fully justified). And is your idea of equitable pay
rates that everyone should be reduced to the lowest level?

No, but nor do I think the greedy *******s should be threatening a strike
for more money when they're already grossly overpaid for what they do.

If you doing 90mph in a train and there's an obstruction at any visible
distance ahead you're probably screwed so I can't see much point worrying
about it.

You may be going to hit it whatever you do, but depending what is is
there may be a whole variety of sensible responses.

Such as? What other options do you have after you put on the emergency brake?
Activate the secret levitation device so the train can jump over the obstacle?

But then you don't actually want to know do you? You'll just go on

Go on , tell us then.

visible circumstances, let alone the hidden ones. And of course you do
your job perfectly all the time, and are paid exactly what it is worth,
and always will be, and you will always have a job. Rhubarb!!!

I'm actually underpaid for what I do but its a recession so beggars etc...

B2003