Old January 25th 12, 12:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.rail.americas
Nobody Nobody is offline

Default Stating prices at retail inclusive of taxes

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 22:42:28 -0800, spsffan
wrote:

On 1/23/2012 7:54 PM, Roger Traviss wrote:
It's not an FTC rule. It's a US DOT rule, according to several news
articles
I've read. No, it is NOT acceptable to list the price, net of taxes and
fees, in large type, with the total price in small type. The new rule
on advertising total prices including taxes and fees takes effect on the
26th.

I cannot find anything similar for hotel quotes, though.

In America, on goods subject to sales taxes, practically 100% of pricing is
always without local, state taxes. They are added at the time of payment.

In Canada, because we have a value added tax and depending on what province
you live in as it varies, shown prices will not include federal and
provincial taxes. These are also added at the time of payment.

Indeed. I do love Canada, its people, including the many expats (here in
sunny Southern California) that I know, and it's beautiful landscape and
history.

But I do question the sanity of a country where you must pay tax on a
postage stamp. Is that still the case? It was in Vancouver in 1998. Oh,
and I mean federal VAT, not provincial taxes, as far as I recall.

Regards,

DAve

The postal system, like any other "business", is a service. In a VAT
regime, services as well as goods are taxed.

The majority idiots here in British Columbia have voted to dismantle
the provincial portion of the combined fed/prov harmonized VAT, to
return to a "goods only" sales tax for provincial purposes that
cascades through the chain, being applied repetitively at each sales
step... but the unwashed masses don't unnerstand that, thanks to the
bleatings of a disgraced right-wing twit who once led the Provincial
Government a couple of decades ago.

Nobody (oops, that's accidental) likes to pay taxes, but VAT is the
fairest system: thems who spends, pays.

And before I get pounced on, there are protections in Canada: basic
food, transit, and rent are exempt. Not to forget that income taxes
were cut when the federal GST was introduced in the late 80's, and
ditto with the conversion from the PST to HST in BC which now has to
be un-done.

And po' folks like me receive credits to offset our taxable purchases.

Incidentally, Ammurican (and other) visitors to Canada are able to
reclaim their GST/HST payments, though whether the effort to track a
few pennies on postage would make sense... (!)