Old March 24th 12, 07:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim.... tim.... is offline

Default The Tube...

"Robin" wrote in message
I'm not entirely convinced that you have to "be seen to be doing
something" with a barriered system that requires fare evaders to be
really antisocial to avoid paying

In addition to other comments I'll add that you need to explain then why
there are so many people milling around, most looking exceedingly unhappy,
outside my local Overground station whenever there are inspectors
(invariabl;y accompanied by police) checking entry and exit at the
barriers.

I'm not saying that they shouldn't have manual revenue protection

I'm just saying that "being seen to have it" isn't a reason for having it.

The people who cheat know that they are cheating - they don't need the
presence of inspectors to remind them

tim