Old April 24th 12, 12:13 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default A Stock Finale

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 04:58:16 -0700 (PDT), 77002
wrote:

On Apr 24, 9:45*am, "Peter Masson" wrote:
"Guy Gorton" wrote

When I was a regular user many years ago, there were fasts to
Uxbridge, first stop from Baker Street was Rayners Lane. *Morning
fasts non-stop Rayners Lane to Baker Street. *My destination was Baker
Street but I think I remember that the fasts in both directions were
City trains.

Into the 1970s in the peaks Amersham and Chesham fasts ran non-stop from
Moor Park to Finchley Road, and there were Watfords fast from North Harrow
as well as the Uxbridges fast from Rayners Lane. All these ran to the City
(Amershams and Cheshams terminated in the long-lost bay at Liverpool
Street). There were a few Uxbridge stoppers which ran to Aldgate, but all
other stoppers terminated at Baker Street. Off-peak and weekends everything
terminated at Baker Street. Didn't they split and run as 4-cars off-peak?

Yes, I recall the short trains. The four car units had cabs at both
ends. The three car units had a cab at one end. Daytime services
were four car only.

All the A stock trains were either 4 or 8-car (no 3-car units). I seem
to recall that the 4-car double-ended unit trains ran mainly at
weekends (in the 1970s, I lived in a flat that had a distant view of
the Met line).