Old May 9th 12, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ta,king the PIS at East Putney

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:31:21 -0500,
wrote:

I went to Putney today to deal with various matters to do with my late
mother's estate. On the way back I arrived at East Putney to see the next
train advertised as "City train" in 5 minutes. After a few minutes it
changed to 1 minute and an Edgware Road train was added due in 5 minutes.
So I thought I would let the first train go and get the Edgware Road
train to Notting Hill Gate, on my way to Liverpool St.

I wasn't therefore paying attention at first when the train arrived and
didn't see the front of it. As it pulled up I looked at the side of it
and thought "hang on, that's C stock; it can't be a City train" and
jumped on it, just in time.

But why did the PIS get so confused? And what will we do when the S stock
is all in service? It will all look the same then.

Who knows why the PIS was confused - there might have been a last
minute change of route at Wimbledon; the system may hold the
timetabled info until it registers an approaching train or there may
simply be a glitch somewhere given the interaction between LU and NR
systems. Note I'm just guessing - I've no way of knowing if there is
a problem.

The SSL PIS systems do seem particularly limited, particularly disappointing
with the fairly recent improvements at Earl's Court.

On your second point you'll learn to look at the displays on the side
of the train. That's what I do with 09 stock if I miss the front of
the train. Alternatively you get on and listen to the announcements /
look at the display and then get off at an appropriate point if its
not your train. That's hardly a hardship on the Wimbledon branch.

Announcements? They don't do them at East Putney. Or will the signalling be
replaced before the S7 stock is fully introduced?

I chose the Notting Hill Gate route because it was what the Journey
Planner suggested. In all my years I have never thought of that as the
fastest route between Liverpool St and East Putney. Has the Central Line
been accelerated enough recently to make a difference?

Not that I am aware of. The last acceleration was a few years ago but
the trains do shift. It's certainly faster than a drag along the sub
surface lines.

Perhaps "recently" was the wrong choice of word by me. I think your answer
to my question is probably "Yes". I've used the Central so little since the
92TS was introduced it never occurred to me that this route could be the
fastest. The Underground Map distortions of geography won't have helped
either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel